too much oil?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on too much oil? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi guys, just got my 01 wrx back the gearbox shopafter getting my tranny rebuilt for a 3rd time (but ...

too much oil?

hi guys,
    just got my 01 wrx back the gearbox shopafter getting my tranny rebuilt for a 3rd time (but thats another story) and its working fine now.
    how ever when i was doing my regular fluid check after getting it back for the first time i went to check my engine oil dipstick and the oil was reading almost twice the full marker and it was dripping off the dipstick. my mechanic is about a 10min drive from home. how much damage can i do in that short time or should i just fork out for a tow?
    i'll add i do not have the tools or space to drain the oil myself as i live on a steep hill in an apartment.
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i'll add it leaks about a teaspoon after a drive

Too much oil isn't going to hurt things. Look at it as too much of a good thing.

The real question is why?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Too much oil can cause excessively high oil pressure and damage seals by the oil being forced out of them at high pressure. Also the excess oil can be forced directly into the PCV system. Half a quart isn't a big deal but any more I would drain out.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Too much oil can cause excessively high oil pressure and damage seals by the oil being forced out of them at high pressure. Also the excess oil can be forced directly into the PCV system. Half a quart isn't a big deal but any more I would drain out.
    Yep, I've heard that one before by some other knowledgeable people, +1 to donkey.

Fine for a 10 minute ride to the mechanic - just don't run it hard. Might want to make sure you get some other opinions on it though, I'm no mechanic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Heyy. Honestly it depends. But in my case I had too much oil in my sti for 50 miles. And running hard. Next day had a rod knock and Turbo was making a zipping noise when let off boost. Soo it probably destroyed my seals seized the Turbo put metal in the engine cracked my pistons n it was bye bye. So I wouldn't risk it. I just paid 15 k to Subaru 2400 of that was labor. Be careful.

thanks for the help guys, got it to my mechanic about 20mins ago and they drained it right out and refilled with fresh oil, he said it was way over the limit so that was alarming but no damage done.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 01wrx View Post
    thanks for the help guys, got it to my mechanic about 20mins ago and they drained it right out and refilled with fresh oil, he said it was way over the limit so that was alarming but no damage done.
    Good to hear it sorted out okay!

Posted from my phone ... Excuse the grammar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 01wrx View Post
    i'll add i do not have space to drain the oil myself as i live on a steep hill in an apartment.
    thanks
    That's the best situation for it right there!

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Too much oil isn't going to hurt things. Look at it as too much of a good thing.

The real question is why?
    Ummm

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.