Inner Tie Rod replacement?

This is a discussion on Inner Tie Rod replacement? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone ever replaced their inner tie rods on their steering rack? I noticed a few months ago some wiggle ...

Inner Tie Rod replacement?

Has anyone ever replaced their inner tie rods on their steering rack? I noticed a few months ago some wiggle in my front passenger side wheel when I would grab the wheel and twist it from side to side. I traced the issue to something within the steering rack and since the driver side wheel wouldn't move when I wiggled the passenger side, I figured it to be the inner tie rod. On top of this, the steering rack boot broke.

I took the boot off and this is a pic of the piece I need to unscrew.

There's a lock washer on there that I had to press away from the tie rod end before i could unscrew it.

Now I need to figure out a way of getting a 32mm open end in there to break it loose. I already tried a pair of channel locks but couldn't muscle it loose.

Here's a couple pics of the new parts that are going in:

Any suggestions on how to loosen this tie rod w/out taking the steering rack out?
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They actually have special tie rod removal tools, I bought one at harbor freight and its worked wonders for me, the inner tie rod is a 21mm if my memory serves me, come to think of it of the dozens of them I have replaced I havent had to do one in while. The tool was only a couple bucks and its pretty self explanatory on how to use it... Inner Tie Rod Removal Set

wow... that's pretty awesome. I wish I had thought to stop by there as I have one near by. I'm guessing that tool accepts a 1/2" or 3/8" drive?

I measured the inner tie rod w/a set of calipers and believe it or not, it's 32mm. That's a tad bigger than 1.25".

I stopped by a trusted mechanic to borrow the band crimping tool and as him what he suggests. He suggested a pair of vice grips and a pry bar for some leverage. So that's what I used. I positioned it so that I could get some leverage off the subframe w/the pry bar and popped it loose w/out a problem. Before putting the new one in, I cleaned the inner threads of the rack and I put some high strength thread locker on. I used the vice grips again and made it really tight. Then due to the position of the lock washer, I could only crimp in the one side. When it comes to crimping things like this washer and axle nuts, I never know what to use. So I put some tape on the tip of a flat head screw driver hoping it would be dull enough. It wasn't. I still managed to mangle the lock washer a bit. You need a rounded tip chisel or something I think.

Anyways, after that, everything went back pretty smooth. I remembered to measure the position of the outer tie rod before taking it off so that when I put it back together, my alignment wouldn't be too screwed up.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

your right, I have only ever crimped one side of the lock washer also, I usually take one of my long flat heads and hammer it down. glad you got it done though, I have never seen or heard of anyone replacing one with anything other than the tool...