Inner Tie Rod replacement?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Inner Tie Rod replacement? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Has anyone ever replaced their inner tie rods on their steering rack? I noticed a few months ago some wiggle ...

Inner Tie Rod replacement?

Has anyone ever replaced their inner tie rods on their steering rack? I noticed a few months ago some wiggle in my front passenger side wheel when I would grab the wheel and twist it from side to side. I traced the issue to something within the steering rack and since the driver side wheel wouldn't move when I wiggled the passenger side, I figured it to be the inner tie rod. On top of this, the steering rack boot broke.

I took the boot off and this is a pic of the piece I need to unscrew.

There's a lock washer on there that I had to press away from the tie rod end before i could unscrew it.

Now I need to figure out a way of getting a 32mm open end in there to break it loose. I already tried a pair of channel locks but couldn't muscle it loose.

Here's a couple pics of the new parts that are going in:

Any suggestions on how to loosen this tie rod w/out taking the steering rack out?
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They actually have special tie rod removal tools, I bought one at harbor freight and its worked wonders for me, the inner tie rod is a 21mm if my memory serves me, come to think of it of the dozens of them I have replaced I havent had to do one in while. The tool was only a couple bucks and its pretty self explanatory on how to use it... Inner Tie Rod Removal Set

wow... that's pretty awesome. I wish I had thought to stop by there as I have one near by. I'm guessing that tool accepts a 1/2" or 3/8" drive?

I measured the inner tie rod w/a set of calipers and believe it or not, it's 32mm. That's a tad bigger than 1.25".

I stopped by a trusted mechanic to borrow the band crimping tool and as him what he suggests. He suggested a pair of vice grips and a pry bar for some leverage. So that's what I used. I positioned it so that I could get some leverage off the subframe w/the pry bar and popped it loose w/out a problem. Before putting the new one in, I cleaned the inner threads of the rack and I put some high strength thread locker on. I used the vice grips again and made it really tight. Then due to the position of the lock washer, I could only crimp in the one side. When it comes to crimping things like this washer and axle nuts, I never know what to use. So I put some tape on the tip of a flat head screw driver hoping it would be dull enough. It wasn't. I still managed to mangle the lock washer a bit. You need a rounded tip chisel or something I think.

Anyways, after that, everything went back pretty smooth. I remembered to measure the position of the outer tie rod before taking it off so that when I put it back together, my alignment wouldn't be too screwed up.
    2nd WRX...
    More than meets the eye.

your right, I have only ever crimped one side of the lock washer also, I usually take one of my long flat heads and hammer it down. glad you got it done though, I have never seen or heard of anyone replacing one with anything other than the tool...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.