boost leak detection ?

This is a discussion on boost leak detection ? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; were exactly should i look and is there a test using carb cleaner or starter fluid?...

boost leak detection ?

were exactly should i look and is there a test using carb cleaner or starter fluid?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Not a ton of places to look for a boost leak.

If it's a boost leak it's limited to anything post turbo and pre intake manifold. Check the clamps on your y-pipe. Outlet at the turbo, inlets under the intercooler. Coupler between the IC and the TB. And your BPV.

Presumably you could use carb cleaner since you're running vacuum at idle, this would not guarantee that you'll find a boost leak however. What may be a leak at peak boost won't necessarily be a leak in vacuum. Best plan of attack is to inspect all hoses and clamps, BPV gasket, torque.

You can also build yourself a boost leak tester, search this site and Google for that. I have no experience making/using one however.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

right on thanks bro....time to set my beer down

Banned
    carb cleaner wont work, you need to be in boost to find leaks.

their easy.

go to NTB and get a tire valve stem, $1. go to lowes and get a 2" PVC end cap $2. get a drill bit (i think a 11/32 but i could be wrong, if you have a caliper meassure a valve stem hole at NTB from a wheel laying around) and drill a hole. you will need an aftermarket intake because you need to use the coupling. clamp it down to your inlet tube and pump it up with any air compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post

If it's a boost leak it's limited to anything post turbo and pre intake manifold. Check the clamps on your y-pipe. Outlet at the turbo, inlets under the intercooler. Coupler between the IC and the TB. And your BPV.

Presumably you could use carb cleaner since you're running vacuum at idle, this would not guarantee that you'll find a boost leak however. What may be a leak at peak boost won't necessarily be a leak in vacuum. Best plan of attack is to inspect all hoses and clamps, BPV gasket, torque.

You can also build yourself a boost leak tester, search this site and Google for that. I have no experience making/using one however.
    Thanks for that, I have a similar issue.

I've got an annoying whistle sound coming from under the hood, over on the passenger side. It's not extremely loud, sounds high pitched and raspy, and it isn't constant. The noise is most pronounced when the engine is under some load and maybe in the 70-90% throttle range. Best example is moderate acceleration on a slight incline. YouTube - ‪boost leak‬‏

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    NDS WRX, are you top mount or front mount? What are your modifications?
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Top mount
    Stage 1+ 291whp and 312torque @ 18.3 PSI
    2011 subaru wrx stage1+
    k&n intake 3 Port boost selenoid
    catless downpipe
    cobb accessport

Thanks

I Support ClubWRX
    It could be a leak from your turbo inlet or possibly clamps loose from your intake / throttle body.
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount

NDS WRX, I know of a few instances of the plastic end tanks and BPV being an issue with higher boost levels on the 08+ WRX, also a couple of instances of the IC to TB hose being cracked. I'm not sure at what boost level it begins to rear it's head however.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Just did the boost leak test at 23 psi. No leak
    I think in might be the exhaust

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by NDS WRX View Post
    Just did the boost leak test at 23 psi. No leak
    I think in might be the exhaust
    I second that motion.

Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post

I was facing the same problem few days back but was not satisfied with the solution I preferred. This is a great information, it is of great use for me. Thanks lot for sharing.