Which cylinder is which?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Which cylinder is which? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In the 2004 WRX 2.0L, which cylinder is 1? 2? 3? 4? I know that 1 + 3 are on ...

Which cylinder is which?

In the 2004 WRX 2.0L, which cylinder is 1? 2? 3? 4? I know that 1 + 3 are on the passenger side, and 2 + 4 are the drivers side... but which is which? LOL

I'm trying to diagnose a misfire, I suspect the coils...

TIA for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!
    Looking at the engine bay from the front its...
    1 4
    3 2

Good luck man on the diagnosis, I went through this about 6 months ago and it was hell for me...
    Last edited by 06scoobyrex; 04-16-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

What's the behavior/code you're getting?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I've been getting misfires in cylinders 2, 3, and 4. Replaced the plugs, no help. I suspected the coils, so I figured out there were two bad ones by switching them around a few times - waiting for the replacement coilpacks in the mail. Meanwhile, I picked up a $25 compression tester - going to use that next.

Obviously with 3 misfires, its not running well at all... But I haven't seen any blue smoke out of the tailpipe (worried about a headgasket), so I'm still commuting to work in it.... I've just about exhausted all the things I am able to do to diagnose it, so I'm prolly going to bring it in next week.... Any ideas?

Its usually unlikely that more then one coil pack goes bad and swapping them to a different cylinder and if the cel code(s) move to there then that's a dead give away... also check...
    MAF sensor (clean it)
    check for vacuum leaks
    check the ground connections with a multimeter (the ground wire on the coil pack harness is in the middle)
    check your turbo inlet (famous for tearing)
    if you have a way of datalogging try to see if the ecu is pulling timing and readjusting the air/fuel scaling
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by Donkey; 04-17-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Are you sure its not
    3 4
    1 2 ??

I Support ClubWRX
    Since Donkey's post includes a diagram that specifies where the nose of the car lies, I'd urge everyone to follow that diagram. An additional advantage to the diagram is that it's correct.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 04-17-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: English spells "diagramme" incorrectly. French does it better.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Bad news - I just did a compression test and got a big fat ZERO on cylinder 2. :-0 This means a huge leak, right? Am I screwed????

I'm not doing a leakdown test, so this is the point I call a professional. I would just like to be informed when I go... What are the possible problems ?

Thanks again.....

Donkey's diagram was right... I had 1 and 3 backwards...

If you don't have any compression in #2 then your piston ring is gone and your looking at either replacing the short block or a rebuild... good luck man, it sucks when things like this happen but nows your chance to build it better...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Hmm... Thats bad. What about the valves, tho? Couldnt they be leaking, or stuck open?

Are there any sensors that I could read that could give any hints?

Yeah... your valve seats could be warped as well, but if you got a 0 it is more likley the piston ring IMHO... when you did the compression test what were your numbers? The first bump should be a lower number and the 3rd should be a larger one... exsample 80 and 160 etc...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Bumps? This is the first compression test I've ever done, so I'm not quite sure what u mean. As the engine cranked, the needle would jump up to 30 and the fall immediately in between cranks. The other cylinders read at 155,155,and 150.

When the compression tester is screwed into the spark plug hole, when your cranking the ignition the "bumps" are when the engine is being cranked through a revolution... If I remember right your saupose to let it cycle 3-4 times and get the first and third reading off the gauge on the tester...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

If I were to remove the valve cover on that side to inspect the rocker arms and stuff, would I be able to see what was wrong?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.