Torn power steering boot
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Torn power steering boot within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I noticed that the passenger side Boot on the steering rack was torn when I was doing a transmission/oil ...

Torn power steering boot

So I noticed that the passenger side Boot on the steering rack was torn when I was doing a transmission/oil change. The local Subaru shop suggested doing both left and right boots which makes sense to me. They quoted $240 dollars for parts, labor, and alignment after taxes. My question is how difficult of a job is it to replace the boots? Any tips or directions? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

its generally a pretty straight forward job which isnt to difficult, the worst you will run into is a seized castle nut on the tie rod end due to rust. How many miles are on the vehicle? If you mark the tie rods correctly before you disassemble than you might be able to do without an alignment, however doing one cant hurt. Personally as far as tie rod boots go I wouldnt replace both of them unless both where torn, however if the tie rods themselves are bad that is a different story. This is my opinion of course....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.