Knocking noise with video

This is a discussion on Knocking noise with video within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been around the forum doing some troubleshooting and I can't quite figure out what's going on with this engine ...

Knocking noise with video

I've been around the forum doing some troubleshooting and I can't quite figure out what's going on with this engine noise. The video is at the bottom. Hopefully someone can listen and tell me.

Here's the breakdown

2004 WRX and it's a salvage title. I've gotten pretty much everything sorted out except for this one thing. There's 39k miles on it and as far as i know, the only mods are a lightened flywheel and the guy a got it from said there were cams in it. It does idle rough but certainly nothing like a 454 big block. There's also been a P0301 cylinder one misfire code popping up that I can't get to go away. I had it in to a subaru performance shop in denver and they fixed a couple vacuum leaks and gave it a basic tune. It put up 202 rwhp on the dyno so I figure all 4 cylinders have to fire but something tells me the timing is off. I put in a new MAF sensor, swapped out the plugs (even though none were fouled out), gave it some good fuel injector cleaner through 3 tanks, run 91 octane, and haven't raced it.

I was really hoping to turn this into a rally car but if it turns out to be more trouble than it's worth, I might pawn it off on the next sucker and get a new one. My dad and I have a pretty extensive knowledge about cars but it's mostly been on carbureted motors. ECUs give me trouble. Is this something I can fix on my own or should I take it in to professionals? Or dump it..

YouTube - WRX engine noise

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

I'm not sure why it would have a flywheel and cams with not other mods. That sound is a rod knock.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    If you're lucky it's a tensioner but it's more likely a rod.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.