Suspension 'pop' on right turns

This is a discussion on Suspension 'pop' on right turns within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I picked up an '04 WRX last weekend with some issues. One of them is a popping noise when I ...

Suspension 'pop' on right turns

I picked up an '04 WRX last weekend with some issues. One of them is a popping noise when I hit a bump or make right turns coming from the front suspension. It isn't continuous, just a single pop like something is moving out of place slightly. While driving on a straight patch of road and weaving back and forth a bit, I get the pop when I turn the wheel to the right. Any ideas where to start looking for this noise?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would do a thorough visual inspection and shake down of the suspension first. how many miles are on the vehicle? Simply from what you are saying im thinking perhaps a ball joint or sway bar link or strut....Also check all of your axle boots for tears....

I'd look at your sway bar connections first.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm hoping to get under the car this weekend and poke around. The car has 167k on it so I know it isn't going to be perfect. I just wanted some insight on where to start looking. I'll get the front end lifted up and see if I can find any loose bolts. Thanks guys.

I had a similar issue. In my instance it was the linkage on the sway bars. I had both right and left replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by siddle View Post
    I had a similar issue. In my instance it was the linkage on the sway bars. I had both right and left replaced.
    Funny you say that. I finally got a chance to get under the car today and one of the linkages wasn't very tight. The bolt was kind of rusty, but I got it tightened a little bit. I may just end up getting some aftermarket endlinks and see if that helps the problem even more.