Used Exhaust, safe bet or mistake?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Used Exhaust, safe bet or mistake? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am considering buying a stock catback exhaust, and rear cat/midpipe from a guy who will be shipping me the ...

Used Exhaust, safe bet or mistake?

I am considering buying a stock catback exhaust, and rear cat/midpipe from a guy who will be shipping me the parts. Cost with shipping is about 110, and he took it off his car at 170,000 miles. He just passed inspection with these parts on the car, and there isnt too much rust.

Is it a safe bet to buy those parts with that many miles, if they seem to be in good condition?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bugeyefanatic View Post
    I am considering buying a stock catback exhaust, and rear cat/midpipe from a guy who will be shipping me the parts. Cost with shipping is about 110, and he took it off his car at 170,000 miles. He just passed inspection with these parts on the car, and there isnt too much rust.

Is it a safe bet to buy those parts with that many miles, if they seem to be in good condition?
    Is the muffler included? If there are no holes, rust etc. I don't see why not. It's steel. If it includes the mufflers I'd swap those.
    2011 OBP WRX::Invidia Catless DP::Cobb CAI::TP 93 STG2::KB STS::Perrin Sways::

Yes it should be fine.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Yes Muffler included, what do you mean swap those? The only part im really worried about is the rear Cat, cats are a crap shoot whether they last forever or go bad. With that many miles should I be worried about it going bad if it just passed inspection?

Like you said it's a crap shoot so who knows.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I guess I might as well go for it, and if it goes bad i can get half my money back just from selling the cat to a scrap yard...and ill be selling my current bad cat to a scrap yard as well.

Yes Muffler included, what do you mean swap those? The only part im really worried about is the rear Cat, cats are a crap shoot whether they last forever or go bad. With that many miles should I be worried about it going bad if it just passed inspection?
    You don't need a muffler with that kinda mileage on it

What do you mean I dont need a muffler with that kinda mileage on it? Like its not good with that kinda mileage?

What do you mean I dont need a muffler with that kinda mileage on it? Like its not good with that kinda mileage?
    They pack those things with materials, insulation, mesh, pipe, etc. Over time it breaks down. In my opinion and in my experience with American performance vehicles, you have about 65k miles before it's time for a change. Soobies may be different but I doubt it. I'd get the muffler swapped. If the stock piping is ok you are fine. You can always put it on and change later. An exhaust shop can do it in 15 minutes, a muffler swap

Mine currently has 120,000 and is workin fine and sounds like new. Im just afraid that when I try to undo the bolts on the flanges that it is too rusted and it will snap and ill have to change it anyway. If I buy this one, at least I can give it a shot with mine and I have a backup if not. If neither of them are good ill probably replace it, but right now im just trying to save some money and get the job done.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.