What are the symptoms of boost surge?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What are the symptoms of boost surge? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Maybe im just a bit paranoid, but this morning i was going onto the highway from the on ramp, and ...

What are the symptoms of boost surge?

Maybe im just a bit paranoid, but this morning i was going onto the highway from the on ramp, and i am not being aggressive in my driving or accelleration. I knoticed that my car "felt" like it has having some instantaneous "hard pulling". It felt like for maybe 1 second increments, the car was pulling hard, then lets off (almost like hitting bumps on the road, but peing pushed forward by them very briefly). My pedal was around 25%. It did this too me maybe the higher gears (4th and 5th). It didnt do this constantly either, only intermittently. It also seemed to occur more often when going uphill. Engine RPMs are not fluttering at all either.

Car is Stage 1 OTS tune with only CBE and drop-in panel filter. Maybe im not used to how the stage 1 operates typically because im so used to the economy tune on my commute. Didnt knotice this issue last night when driving throw the mountain roads either, and babied the throttle still.

Again, maybe im just paranoid and will plug in the cobb and observe boost levels as im driving this afternoon. One thought is the altitude sensor adjustments. On a weekend basis i drive from around 5,500 ft to 9,000+ ft one day, and the reverse coming back for the weekdays. So, maybe the sensors are readjusting to learn the parameters of the air at 5,500 ft.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That sounds like boost surge, or like a clutch slipping. I'd like to see what the AP shows for the boost levels.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Hmm, i really hope its neither and just my imagination, ill hopefully get accurate results this afternoon and post them tomorrow morning...

Not sure about the clutch, doesnt slip when I accellerate from a stop (normal or performance driving).

I have had a similar symptom in my vette a while back. When i first got my vette, it was completely stock. However, whenever i was in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear and i applied the gas pedal, the car would "clunk" quite aggressively and felt like i was going nowhere fast. Originally i thought it was the clutch screwing up on me as well. But, i decided to give it a well needed tune-up (New Distributor, Spark Plugs, Wires, Coil) And the problem disappeared on it, guess was a ignition problem on that car. I am feeling similar "lurches" in the subie, but not even close the extent that the vette gave me.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

Clutch slip shows up in the higher gears, especially going uphill. It normally doesn't show up from a start until the clutch is really really bad.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Well, Observed boost/vacuum levels on both trips. Nothing out of the ordinary. So, that rules out boost surge. Also, clutch doesnt seem to be slipping either.

Im thinking its just me hitting a couple of bumps on the road that made the car feel a bit funky or catching some wind interference from cars in front of me etc..

Another suspicion again is ignition related. Maybe needing some new spark plugs. Not sure if previous owner changed them or not.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.