Will use of an aftermarket Cat still cause CEL's?

This is a discussion on Will use of an aftermarket Cat still cause CEL's? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; If I replace my bad rear Cat with an aftermarket or universal cat, will I get a CEL because it ...

Will use of an aftermarket Cat still cause CEL's?

If I replace my bad rear Cat with an aftermarket or universal cat, will I get a CEL because it is aftermarket?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It may, it may not. Typically a high flow cat, which barely resembles, or functions like a factory cat will result in a CEL. An aftermarket OEM replacement might not. If you want to remain stock, people are always selling their OEM exhausts. It could also be a good time to go with a turbo back and a tune (the tune will defeat any cat related CEL's).
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I would be looking to go the Turboback and Tune route, but I recently got accepted into the Peace Corps and will be leaving the country next winter...so im not looking to spend too much money right now. I just want to get a decent fix for my problems that will last.

Please let me know if you happen to come across anyone selling their 2003 WRX OEM exhaust, ive been searching here and on NASIOC to no avail.

Also do you know of the compatibility of other model years to the 2003. I know a lot of times parts are listed as 02-05 WRX, but I am trying to find out for sure before I start broadening my search.

Thanks

Any down pipe 02-07 will work. The 06-07 is one piece from turbo to past the 2nd. A constant CEL is annoying but your 2nd cat is for emissions purposes only and won't throw your car into limp mode. If you post up a WTB thread I'm sure you'll be able to find one pretty quickly.
    Last edited by mudferret; 04-09-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Yeah I have put a couple up with no luck, but ill keep trying.

hey dood i got the stock down pipe from my 04 rex if ur still in need

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    It can.

Hey wrxne30 I actually am just looking for the midpipe and catback, but thanks let me know if you see any pop up on here