2011 Cracked Windshield

This is a discussion on 2011 Cracked Windshield within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Some person in front of me was all over the place because they were sipping their coffee and not paying ...

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Thumbs down 2011 Cracked Windshield

Some person in front of me was all over the place because they were sipping their coffee and not paying full attention. They gradually moved enough on to the shoulder to pickup a nice size rock and flung it straight at my windshield.

Anybody have a guess at what this crap will run to fix? The crack is about 7" in length right up against the center drivers-side. Haven't even made a payment on the things yet and I'm already about to shell out to fix something... bummer!
    Clark Tuned | Cobb SRI, DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | STi Group-N Engine Mounts | Plate Relocation | KB F+R Endlinks, Pitch Stop, Shift Knob, F+R Shift Bushings | Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear, Gearbox +Shift | PST Carbon Driveshaft | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Yakima Roof Rack + Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you have usaa insurance, they will attempt to repair it for free as long as you have comprehensive.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sadly I don't have USAA... but I do need to call my insurance company and see what that would run, otherwise I'll pay cash if it's not an arm and leg since they have the heated wiper park area on them.
    Clark Tuned | Cobb SRI, DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | STi Group-N Engine Mounts | Plate Relocation | KB F+R Endlinks, Pitch Stop, Shift Knob, F+R Shift Bushings | Whiteline Front Sway & 22mm Rear, Gearbox +Shift | PST Carbon Driveshaft | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 | Yakima Roof Rack + Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Blue Prova Rearview

I Support ClubWRX
    Well got Safelight coming out on Monday and since it'll be my entire windshield being replaced my deductible is $250... oh well, just want that crap fixed... I was prepared to pay more.

I choose not to have glass coverage, so I pay out of pocket. I've bought two new windshields, both PPG, heated, etc... ~$280 installed. It pays to shop around, the big national glass chains in Canada charge double that, I chose a local independent, high volume, positively reviewed shop. You'd think the national chains would have a good volume discount, but for whatever reason they feel they should charge much more.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    It'd be free for me if they could fix it, without replacement, otherwise they make me pay the deductible for my coverage... not any sweat off my back, rather have it fixed sooner than later... plus I'd much rather have them come to me vice having to take my car and leave it with some Mom + Pop shop around where I live... also gives me an excuse from work 1/2 day :]

Quote Originally Posted by Stu_Gotti View Post
    also gives me an excuse from work 1/2 day :]
    LOL...I usually regard that as one of the benefits as well. Saves me from having to come up with a lame excuse of why I took off for the afternoon.
    ...Rob.

I Support ClubWRX
    Half my co-workers have been busting on me asking why nobody hasn't messed up my car... I'm going to tell them they all jinx'd me :]

hey mudferret, how's the ppg compared to the oem?

call a local glass place and go through your insurance. My deductible is $100.. thats all it will cost me to fix. Mine has a crater in it, and a 13" long crack.. getting replaced right here at the house tomorrow while I telework
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Banned
    Not sure about the WRX but I paid 175 to replace the windsheild on my Versa. No insurance involved. Seemed like a quality piece of glass but they got my seat dirty (short guy, I think he stood on it while he was working). It cleaned up though.

Check the cost of lowering your comprehensive deductible to $0 . That's what I did and it was only about $5 a month and that covers everything except a collision.

Quote Originally Posted by bmuu330 View Post
    hey mudferret, how's the ppg compared to the oem?
    The first one lasted a year, no major pits, no cracks, chips, etc... Then one day last winter I had had the heat blasting on my way to work, opened the door and a cold wind rushed in and the windshield cracked all the way across. Likely a small defect, or pit, coupled with the instant cooling caused the crack.
    ...Rob.

Glass doctor quoted me $385 for the windshield less installation outside of insurance and just the deductible going through insurance. The guy came to the house and did the deed right here in the garage. Looks perfect and only took him about half an hour. I would have dumped my deductible on comp..but neglected to do it before reporting the damage (doh!) so.. well.. next time I guess lol. Either way I got $400+ of work and parts for 25% of that figure. No complaints here.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!