key in run position: radiator fan; fuel pump, several relays all cycle, won't start

This is a discussion on key in run position: radiator fan; fuel pump, several relays all cycle, won't start within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2004 WRX STI – This car is brand new to me, the mod that I can see is an aftermarket ...

Question key in run position: radiator fan; fuel pump, several relays all cycle, won't start

2004 WRX STI – This car is brand new to me, the mod that I can see is an aftermarket intercooler in front of the radiator. It idled fine, and did not run properly under acceleration. It had a code for a faulty tumble generator sensor and/or motor. I replaced the tumble generator motor with one from the dealer. I also replaced the tumble generator position sensor with one from a used manifold on what I think is a different model car, it may not be an STI (the donor manifold had smaller fuel injectors). Now the engine turns over, but it won’t start. While the key is in the run position: the radiator fan; fuel pump, and several relays all cycle on/off, on/off, etc. The check engine light blinks and several other lights on the dash are on. It still has a code for an O2 sensor and some undefined codes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check that the green test mode connectors aren't connected under the dash. You said it ran prior though, so just a thought.
    2006 WRX
    Opensource STG 2, Epic Engineering
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #032

http://s258.photobucket.com/home/joesubaru7/index
    DD: 2001 2.5RS
    Old: 1998 2.5RS [url]

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Thanks, the innocuous looking green test mode connector was plugged in, and since the fuel pump had been cycling so rapidly the spark plugs were soaked with fuel which prevented the car from starting. (There were two of these cars that came into the shop from an auction with the same problem, the other one started, but ran with the test mode connector plugged in, unbeknown to the two other mechanics who spent over two days trying to figure it out.) Thanks for making me the hero of the week at work!

I Support ClubWRX
    you owe us all beer
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

^Agreed
    2006 WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #032

^Agreed
    2006 WRX
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #032

I Support ClubWRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Wut? Free beer? I'm in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by joesubaru7 View Post
    Check that the green test mode connectors aren't connected under the dash. You said it ran prior though, so just a thought.
    More free beer if you guys can help me out!!

I am having the same exact issues as Justthere. I have had my 05 STi down for the winter while doing a bunch of work on it. I am ready to start her back up. I started by priming the turbo, pulling the #11 fuse and turning her over (no issues, no crazy rad fans, fuel pump etc). After putting the fuse back in and turning the ignition to the on position I get all the same things going on that Justthere has.

Josesubaru, you say to make sure the green test mode plug is unplugged. B/c currently it is plugged in on mine and I haven't never touched it before. Does it just need to be unplugged for the initial start up or should it stay unplugged for ever? If it does need to stay unplugged from here on out, why is that?

The green test connector needs to be unplugged unless you are running a self-diagnostic on the ECU. If you want the car to run it must stay unplugged.

Ok, I will unplug it when I get home. Whats weird is before I took her off the road the test connector was connected and I never had these issues. I have never touched the connector before, it always been connected.