Check Engine Light - tumble generator valve??
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Check Engine Light - tumble generator valve?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 WRX wagon that I absolutely love. A few weeks ago my check engine light came on ...

I have a 2002 WRX wagon that I absolutely love. A few weeks ago my check engine light came on and I took it to my Subaru dealer and they said it was a dirty tumble generator. They said they could clean it for like $200 or replace it for $800, so I had them clean it. Yesterday (4/5) my check engine light came back on and I took it to Autozone to have them check it and it says the same thing "Tumble Generator Valve #2 malfunction (stuck open, dirty, failed actuator, or failed position sensor)."

Does anyone have any idea about this or what to do with it? The car still runs great and no differently than before. Just want to see if this is something I shouldn't worry about, or can fix on my own, or just have a better idea of what's going on so the dealership doesn't try to walk all over me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as always, this forum has always been terrific about helping one another out and you don't see that much these days!! Thanks a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

If you paid for a repair and it didn't work, then I'd take it back to them and tell them you want it fixed and you should be credited the $200 towards the next fix, especially since this fix didn't involve any parts and just labor.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    If you paid for a repair and it didn't work, then I'd take it back to them and tell them you want it fixed and you should be credited the $200 towards the next fix, especially since this fix didn't involve any parts and just labor.
    This.

If it's not fixed, they didn't do the work properly.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I spoke with the dealership and they said since they cleaned the sensor instead of replacing it the light would come back on. They also said it shouldn't affect the driveability of the car, and so far it hasn't. My only other option would be to get the sensor replaced which is like $800 and I'm not trying to go that route. Think it's alright to let it go?

you could sell it, but i dont think its fair to the next owner to have to pay 800 bucks. have u looked for the part at an auto parts store? also look for part out threads and see if u can get that sensor. the dealer is gonna be expensive about 99% of the time for parts.

I don't want to sell it. I love the car I just want to make sure I'm not doing any damage to it.

Hi everyone I am new on here and would like Some help on the same subject.i have a 2002 wrx,108k that I have only had for 3 months.everything was fine till 3 weeks ago when my check engine light came on,it was only on for about two mins then went off again.the car was driveing fine so I thought nothing of it then about a week later it done the same thing again but still the car drove fine,then a week ago it came on and styed on and I noticed that the car had gone into limp mode and had funny smell coming from exhaust so I took it straight to the garage and had a diagnostic check.it came up with the codes p1093 (tumble generator valve 2(lh) malfunction (stuck close) and p0303 (cylinder 3 missfire) the mechanic suggested to change the arfter market bov I have on for the stock bov so I did and it was the same for a couple of days. Then I started the car today and the light went off so I took it for a drive and it was fine for about ten mins then the light came on and the smell was back. Could it be the tgv butterfly is getting stuck from dirt and stuff and that's why it worked again for a bit as it might of came free,maybe the motor is broke or the sensor has moved I don't no so if any one has any idea what's happening or wot it could be I would appreciate the feedback -- Many Thanks
    Last edited by Djrazor1983; 01-25-2013 at 05:21 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Djrazor1983 View Post
    Then I started the car today and the light went off so I took it for a drive and it was fine for about ten mins then the light came on and the smell was back. Could it be the tgv butterfly is getting stuck from dirt and stuff and that's why it worked again for a bit as it might of came free,maybe the motor is broke or the sensor has moved I don't no so if any one has any idea what's happening or wot it could be I would appreciate the feedback -- Many Thanks
    First thing I would try is an upper intake cleaning using the Seafoam technique or Subaru upper cylinder cleaner. If that doesn't work then you will have to follow the diagnostic tree from the factory service manual.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Hi,Thanks for the reply i will give that seafoam a try.i had a look at some vids on how to use it and it looks promiseing could be wot i need and my car is going in to the garage tomorow so i will keep you imformed on what they say.thanks again

well,got the car back today and they quoted me 900 for a new tgv unit (without labour),now thats the garage buying the part direct from subaru so i think they might of put there own charge on top.is it possible to see the tumble valve just by looking at the engine? coz i thought you had to take the manifold off to see them inside! the garage are saying the tumble valve is broken off?if this was the case the car would still have power wouldnt it coz there be a free flow of air?im no merchanic and only no wot i have reserch off the web.now do i go ahead with it or is it way over priced,does anyone no were i could get a secound hand tgv from or do i go for the tgv deleate.thoughts on this would be a big help.thanks again

I Support ClubWRX

The valves themselves don't break. The motors or the sensors on them do. Subaru doesn't sell them separately from the TGV. I have a motor and sensor if your interested. Just PM me.

Sent from my magic banana
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

hi.ya i thought as much,seem a bit weird they said they could see it just by looking at the engine bay.i should be reciveing that saefoam tomorow so ill give that a try and if it still doesnt work ill have the motor and sensor off you,thanks

Hello, I have a problem as well...
    Was driving home on the freeway just now and decided to open up a little since it was late. Fog lights were on, heater was on, and I'm running a rebuilt turbo TD04L. After this rebuilt turbo was installed the boost gauge shows I'm running 15 lbs of boost. The stock one that had a leak capped at 6-7 lbs of boost. I down shifted from 5th to 4th and punched it. All of a sudden I felt a thud (like something popped) and the check engine light immediately turned on. I pulled over, with the engine still running, didn't smell any burnt oil, or hear funny sounds, car wasn't struggling to idle. But I noticed excessive water protruding from the drain hose that drains condensation while running the A/C. But the A/C was not turned on. Turned the engine off, check again under the hood, didn't smell or hear anything. Turned the engine back on, check engine light still on. I noticed doesn't pull as hard, and the exhaust didn't sound the same. I drove the car home anyway and don't know what this problem could be, I have an 04 with 103K.
    Please help!
    B
    G
    Z

I Support ClubWRX
    Need to know the DTC code. Read the sticky at the top of the page on how to ask a technical question.

Sent from my magic banana
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.