02 WRX Fuel gauge went from 1/2 to empty in a blink...

This is a discussion on 02 WRX Fuel gauge went from 1/2 to empty in a blink... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I had this problem on my fiancees WRX when I we first bought it however it threw a CEL. After ...

02 WRX Fuel gauge went from 1/2 to empty in a blink...

I had this problem on my fiancees WRX when I we first bought it however it threw a CEL. After all said and done I got the the fuel level sensor replaced on the side closest to the fuel filler....few months go by and this happens. Any suggestions? Here are some specs on the car:

- 02 WRX Wagon A/T
    - 123k miles
    - oil changed every 5k with Mobile 1 syn high mileage
    - upper 02 sensor replaced when fuel level sensor was replaced

- Does the recall in the fuel line have anything to do with this? I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong.

I don't know when the last time this car had a tune up, fuel injectors cleaned, or fuel filter replaced. Would this effect the fuel level? Should I replace the pump?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm not much of a subie guy. Thanks!
    '96 ///M3
    '96 Honda Civic EK Hatch
    '02 Subie WRX Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    it goes to half tank to zero in a blink... OK.. so question

1. does it have a half tank or empty?

2. does the gauge read eradically?

3. is there a hole in the fuel tank or an unburnt fuel smell?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

no fuel smell...fiancee says for sure there's 1/2 a tank...she just updated me a second ago to tell me that after letting the car sit off...she started it showed a 1/4 tank...just now the CEL came on. Atleast I can scan it now. Hopefully it isn't the sensor i just replaced...i'd be fine with the other side failing.
    '96 ///M3
    '96 Honda Civic EK Hatch
    '02 Subie WRX Wagon

Sounds like the sending unit is bad, but you replaced it already. However, if that fixed it before, and the new sensor went bad too, then I'd start to wonder if the wiring isn't chaffing on something so it's blowing the part.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

update: my fiancee came home lastnight and she told me the gauge went back up to 1/2 and the CEL turned off....i took her car into work this morning and there was no CEL and the gas gauge went up and down between 1/2 to just about 1/4...i'm going to scan it when the CEL comes back on or maybe today to see if it stored the code. either way, its annoying. the car is awesome though.
    '96 ///M3
    '96 Honda Civic EK Hatch
    '02 Subie WRX Wagon

Makes me think even more there's a short somewhere. It probably wasn't necessary to replace the last part, but coincidentally the short corrected itself like now at the same as you replaced the part.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading