have an exhaust leak up front, need some major help please! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on have an exhaust leak up front, need some major help please! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; To install the turbo back exhaust/up-pipe did you remove the intercooler and the by pass valve?...

I Support ClubWRX
    To install the turbo back exhaust/up-pipe did you remove the intercooler and the by pass valve?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I used the gaskets that came with the exhaust system . Should i replace the gasket to the downpipe that meets the turbo since it came with the kit for the exhaust? I dont know the difference between good quality gaskets and cheap ones to be honest. Im sure they weret the best quality but they were new and all were replaced.

As i stated in my original post the up pipe was done by previous owner something i didnt know until i went to go do it, looked at down pipe removed and intercooler removed and saw and new up pipe there and the egt sensor taped off. I never had a boost issue before yesterday so obviously its something we caused. The exhaust should sound loud out the back under heavy throttle not the front and quite out the back unless im wrong somehow. Combine that with no boost power and its scary

can anyone else help here, im losing my mind on this. I have an aem cold air intake, I installed a turbo back exhaust, the up pipe was already done and is heat wrapped, all the bolts are secure and tight, all gaskets were replaced except for the bpv gasket which i will order tomorrow and now I am getting an extremely loud sound coming out of the engine sounding like air leaking or clattering , loss of power and no boost. When I finally get up to about 4-5 k rpm the cars turbo finally kicks in, otherwise there is no boost.

I have not had the car tuned yet because I dont want to have it tuned with a leak and boost problem since i will be throwing money away. I might toss the aem intake to see if it helps with the sound/ boost issue.

Please any advice would be welcome ive tried everything but i dont understand how it could be the up pipe now if i never touched it at all or touched the bolts ever and now it could be causing sound issues or leaking boost issues now...

Quote Originally Posted by rnrlove143 View Post
    I used the gaskets that came with the exhaust system . Should i replace the gasket to the downpipe that meets the turbo since it came with the kit for the exhaust? I dont know the difference between good quality gaskets and cheap ones to be honest. Im sure they weret the best quality but they were new and all were replaced.
    Did you torque everything to spec? And then retorque after driving? Did you tighten everything in the correct procedure i.e. crossing over things?

You say the exhaust was really loose when you swapped things. How many miles does the car have on it now, and how many miles when you bought it? I strongly suspect the car was modified with a different exhaust before you bought it and returned to stock if the stock exhaust was leaking, especially in multiple places. That just doesn't happen. Are there any signs of any other previous mods, like a missing turbo heatshield, or a cut heatshield?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

turbo heat shield was removed from the car, the old exhaust when it was on the car had the original gaskets on it but they were worn and were showing gaps inbetween the joints.. you may be right about someone sticking the old stock one back on and its disappointing. Im not sure the order on which i was supposed to tighten things but i did retighten everything thing back up, the leak seems to be coming from somewhere up front, but not sure where as it is extremely loud and clattering and only apparent under throttle, otherwise you cant hear it.

Car has 78k miles.

I am going to stick the stock intake system back in it so see if the boost goes back to normal since i read that on the cobb website that aftermarket intake systems can mess with boost levels, if that doesnt work and i still cant really achieve any boost i will feel like i am sitting with a thumb up my ass. TOmorrow i am having a shop swap in a new up pipe for me and to look for the leak as well, i have new gaskets for the up pipe to go with it. Wish i just replaced the aftermarket up pipe that was on it but my buddy said it was heat wrapped so it sound be fine, i just didnt know any better. the bolts to it are freaking tighter then a mother and look rotted. I am replacing the worn looking intercooler (bpv) gasket thursday as well since it needed be ordered, its triangle in shape and sits between the intercooler and bpv, when i went to check it out it was way too thin for my liking.

Any other helpful info is appreciated, thanks guys

Its raining bad right now so im not motivated to be drenched at the moment

when i removed the aem intake and put the stock one back in, the car does boost better but not like before my friend and I did this whole exhaust install which is worrying me, does installing a cat back exhaust change boost levels and when the car goes to boost???????

The noise im hearing is coming from the left of the downpipe almost directly where the up pipe is, when im under the hood and pull the throttle i can hear the exhaust fart a little signaling the leak and its coming from under the hood to the left of the engine bay. Would the downpipe make this much noise over a stock downpipe? Its uncatted and non divorced, sorry if i didnt mention this, i work midnights and barely get any sleep.

I really need some help guys, please chime in if you know anything, i do appreciate it

Did you retorque all the bolts? And when tightening the turbo flange to the downpipe, or anything that has bolts around it in a circular/square type pattern, you should always tighten all the bolts finger tight first. Then tighten any one of them down a little. Go directly across from that one or as close as you can and tighten that one down the same as the last one. Keep jumping across and tightening a little at a time until you torque all of them to spec.

Once you drive it for 50-100 miles, repeat this tightening procedure again.

Did you do this? And what brand of exhaust did you install?

Installing a catback will make no difference in boost in any way. However, you didn't install a catback, you installed a turboback per your first post.

No offense, but one problem here is that it's clear you don't really know much about cars, which means you may be missing something obvious nobody here is even thinking of. Or you may have installed something incorrectly but think it's done right. It's just so hard to know. Sorry to say this, but I wanted you to understand that trying to troubleshoot something on the internet with somebody that knows cars well can be tough enough, but with a newbie, it can be nearly impossible.
    Last edited by teflon_jones; 04-05-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

turbo xs exhaust, the kit I bought came with an up pipe but it wasnt used. I got underneath the car to find a gap in between my front exhaust pipe connecting to the passenger side exhaust manifold. Im hoping this is the culprit. The front exhaust pipe almost looks like a cat converter but I know it is not one. The person who previously owned the car removed the splash shield (plastic one) and never replaced it exposing the underneath to the elements so it makes sense for alot of these things to rot out like they have.

I live in upstate ny where salting is used alot so i know stock exhaust systems do tend to rot out, but i also know per your suggestion that the prior owner probably just threw the stock exhaust back on because there werent even spring loaded bolts between the midipe and tail section on the stock exhaust like their should have been.

I appreciate all your help guys, even though you think I dont have any knowledge, I have just never encountered an exhaust leak before- let alone on a forced induction vehicle so its very frustrating to feel like i have no power in my car right now

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rnrlove143
    I live in upstate ny where salting is used alot so i know stock exhaust systems do tend to rot out, but i also know per your suggestion that the prior owner probably just threw the stock exhaust back on because there werent even spring loaded bolts between the midipe and tail section on the stock exhaust like their should have been.
    Where upstate?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Lake george area ny. The shop by my house is going to look at the car this morning, one thing that is bugging me is that since installing the turbo back exhaust, i smell raw gasoline now, something I only smelt when it was extremely cold out but would go away when it was warmer. Now I smell raw fuel all the time under the hood and out the back.. Hopefully the shop can figure out whats going on with the car, I couldn't get the shop towel to stay in the tail pipe to make the leak louder so i put the silencer inside the tail pipe and it seems to be making run harder almost like a plug is fouled out- although those were changed out about a month ago.. so I will see how it is after the guy calls me at noon time with his input, thanks for the replies

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rnrlove143
    Lake george area ny.
    Click the UNYSOC link in my signature and join up. We have quite a few members up your way. There's a tune day going on in Gansevoort coming up that would be a great opportunity to meet local guys.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

will do. Exhaust leak fixed. Car is running great. Now I have a p0171 code, car running lean check engine light code. Never had that before. Car runs great I think, but I am running a catless aftermarket exhaust..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12