Question about motul oil

This is a discussion on Question about motul oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey folks, I just recently had my first oil change on my 2011 wrx. I actually had it done at ...

Question about motul oil

Hey folks, I just recently had my first oil change on my 2011 wrx. I actually had it done at a dealer and had Motul 8100 Eco Energy 5w30 put in. I was just doing some research about that oil and found that it is not API certified and the oil grade is not ILSAC gf 4 or gf 5. My manuals says it requires a SN or SM classification but on the bottle it shows a SL classification which has me a bit concerned. From my research i've also gathered from other forums that Motul oil is in such a high league that they don't need API certifications and what nots because they well exceed it. Anyone can chime in on this?

Resolved it with SOA!
    Last edited by jt0thevizzle; 05-15-2011 at 12:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If the oil you used does not meet the specifications set in your user manual, the dealer sold you an incorrect part for your car.

The oil is reputable and very good, but that's irrelevant as the warranty deals with specifications, and the oil does not meet them. "Exceeding" them may be true chemically but it also has to be true legally to be of use to you in my view; in other words, you need the bottle to have the stamp for warranty purposes.

Keep your receipt for future reference.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If the oil you used does not meet the specifications set in your user manual, the dealer sold you an incorrect part for your car.

The oil is reputable and very good, but that's irrelevant as the warranty deals with specifications, and the oil does not meet them. "Exceeding" them may be true chemically but it also has to be true legally to be of use to you in my view; in other words, you need the bottle to have the stamp for warranty purposes.

Keep your receipt for future reference.
    Apparently the dealer had to get authorization from SOA before selling it.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would get that SoA gave them authorization in writing and have it signed/dated by general manager, sales manager, service manager and parts manager.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    I would get that SoA gave them authorization in writing and have it signed/dated by general manager, sales manager, service manager and parts manager.
    +1 definitely
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading