2002 wrx engine problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx engine problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Car went down for about 6 weeks or so due to the trans going out, I tore the trans out ...

2002 wrx engine problem

Car went down for about 6 weeks or so due to the trans going out, I tore the trans out got it fixed and then threw it back in. Got everything on the engine all buttoned up. Go to start the car and I hear this god awful noise so I shut it down real quick, get out of the car to look at the engine and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. So I start it again and sounds the same. Had my buddy this time start it so I could have my ear near the motor, it sounded like major valve slap kinda like an old diesel motor.

Only thing I had done to the motor were put new spark plugs in. When doing the trans we put a wrench onto the alternator bolt to turn the pulleys in order to get the splines on the trans lined up.
    There also was a ground that was not hooked up to anything, it was an engine ground so I fixed that. Nothing crazy done to it and it sounds like ass and won't last long.
    There was also a strong smell of fuel in the air.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    Curt

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Was the ground that you said wasn't connected when you started it? Are you getting any CEL's?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

The ground that wasn't connected is now connected and was connected during the problem. My gas light was on and the tank is 1/4 full I found that odd but don't recall a cel, it always throws a cel as early as the day after I bought it.

Are you sure you got the right heat range spark plugs and all of them are tightened properly and nothing is loose? Ive ran into instances like this before, I actually had a plug shoot out of the head due to the customer trying to change them himself.. Did you reseat the throwout bearing in the pressure plate and install the rod that goes through the clutch fork? Did you install a new pilot bearing? Does the noise occur with your foot on the clutch and off the clutch? Did you check your oil level?

Well my roommate changed the plugs and he's pretty damn sure they are tight enough. The plugs were given to me with the car and I believe they were the same as the ones recommended to me by kevin at garage tunes. There is oil in the engine. The fork for the throwout was installed and I'm pretty darn sure its seated. I did not replace that bearing even tho I should have.
    It was weird when I turn the key on I hear a really loud sound that sounded like the fuel pump priming but I've never heard that before. The noise sounds like its def coming from the engine.

Make sure the coils are on the correct cylinders.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I'm pretty sure he did them one at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Fleshwound View Post
    I'm pretty sure he did them one at a time
    If it ran fine before you did the trans work, I would recheck everything you've done from that point
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Only thing I can really do is check all the plugs. It boggles my mind that it was working fine then bam sounds like destruction inside the engine

Maybe something fell into the intake? I didn't have a rag in it for a little while "just forgot"

how long have you let it run before you shut if off due to the noise? I have three of these cars and some of them sit for weeks at a time and when I start them up they are a little rough from sitting, are you sure it isnt normal, I just find it extremely odd the CEL isnt on if the engine is indeed like knocking...

I should video it and post it on here. I've never been around any vehicle that sounds like this from sitting. It sounds terrible. Ill check a few things and then start it and video it. I only let it run for about 3 seconds the first time, second time it turned over and shut off itself, and the third time I let it run for about 20-30 secs. I was afraid of something being damaged cuz of the sound it was making

yea. video would def. help, does it increase in rhythm if you put your foot on the accelerator in neutral?

Haven't tried pushing the gas much. From the little I did it seemed to rise in loudness. I took the video and am trying to find a way to post it

Here it is this should work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrpokuQub7s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast