Rear Cat on Back to the Muffler Replace
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Rear Cat on Back to the Muffler Replace within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I need to have my Rear Cat, the Pipe after it, and the Muffler replaced. The Muffler is being ...

Rear Cat on Back to the Muffler Replace

So I need to have my Rear Cat, the Pipe after it, and the Muffler replaced. The Muffler is being replaced to ensure that the problem does not come back.

What I wanna know is is it a bad idea to go with non OEM Parts? Especially for the Cat? Cats are made to government regulated specifications, but I have hear a lot about them not lasting...also should I just tell them no on the Muffler or is it worthwhile to swap out?

Any help would be great, or other questions about what I am asking please let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Bugeyefanatic View Post
    So I need to have my Rear Cat, the Pipe after it, and the Muffler replaced. The Muffler is being replaced to ensure that the problem does not come back.
    What is the problem you are trying to correct?

What I wanna know is is it a bad idea to go with non OEM Parts? Especially for the Cat? Cats are made to government regulated specifications, but I have hear a lot about them not lasting...also should I just tell them no on the Muffler or is it worthwhile to swap out?

Any help would be great, or other questions about what I am asking please let me know.
    I've had some problems with aftermarket converters, sometimes they last, sometimes they don't, but they usually come with a warranty so it might be worth a shot.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I can save about 600 dollars by going with a different shop and Non OEM Parts

Its the CEL P0420 code, I had it diagnosed and the rear cat is bad...theres also a welded patch on the pipe after the cat and the weld sucks and is leaking. I didnt notice the patch when I bought the car, but whoever did it needs to learn how to weld. And they suggested changing out the muffler to avoid further problems down the road, and since the piping is rusted it would be easier to just change it.

Its the CEL P0420 code, I had it diagnosed and the rear cat is bad...theres also a welded patch on the pipe after the cat and the weld sucks and is leaking. I didnt notice the patch when I bought the car, but whoever did it needs to learn how to weld. And they suggested changing out the muffler to avoid further problems down the road, and since the piping is rusted it would be easier to just change it.
    I would say, unless the rest is leaking, to just have the converter replaced. It'll save you some money and you can always replace the rest later on when, and if, it goes bad
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Yeah I think I am gonna keep the Muffler I have right now, but the Piping behind the rear Cat has a patch welded onto it and the weld is leaking exhaust. Whoever did that weld sucks ass, I know the basics of welding and I could do better...problem is I dont own a welder or I would do this repair myself. The pipes are just too rusted that they wont come on and off real easy. I think I am just gonna go with an aftermarket and get the piping replaced, that way it will be nice and clean if I need to change anything again and I can do it myself then for a couple hundred bucks.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.