Subaru wrx bugeye 02 front drive shaft issues

This is a discussion on Subaru wrx bugeye 02 front drive shaft issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all. Great forum, loads of really useful info, thanks! My mechanical skills have improved vastly because of the clear ...

Subaru wrx bugeye 02 front drive shaft issues

Hey all.
    Great forum, loads of really useful info, thanks! My mechanical skills have improved vastly because of the clear help ive found on this site.

Just wanted to ask, are the front drive shafts on a 02 bugeye wrx turbo the same? will either fit either side?

Iíve got a whirring noising from 20-60mph sounds like bearings but the noise is there regardless of loading in the corners, and consistent vibrations through the whole front end from 60mph all the way 100mph. Changed the drivers side shaft because it was a little loose and wet, its a little quiter and i think the vibrations are a little less (mind could be playing tricks on me) but they are still there.

So aside from wheel balancing which Iím told its unlikely to be because of the speed range of the vibrations, i can only think the passenger side shaft must need changing too?

Rang a breaker and he said i would need to replace the tranny oil when changing too because it comes out when changing the shaft...hadnít noticed any when i did the drivers side so not sure if thatís correct or not.

Car has done 54k with full service history and is really clean & original.

THANKS LOADS for any help, much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    There is only one part number for an axle assembly for each 2002 car so I would say the axles are the same part.

Gear oil should stay in the gear box when you pull the passenger axle; that's where mine stayed.

I wonder if you are getting vibrations because the axle you have already replaced is not an authentic part? Is that the case maybe?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Both CV axles are the same. The vibration could be a tire balance issue, but not the noise. On these cars I dont believe you will lose any fluuid when removing the axles, but never a bad idea to make sure it's topped off.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1