Rod Knock

This is a discussion on Rod Knock within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys i was wondering what would happen if you continued to drive an 05 wrx with a rod knock? ...

Rod Knock

Hey guys i was wondering what would happen if you continued to drive an 05 wrx with a rod knock? Would this risk damaging the heads? I am planning on buying a new shortblock just curious to know how long i have left with my current one? I'm guessing not long but just thought I'd ask.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does anyone know what would happen? Any help is appreciated...

Heads + turbo will likely be damaged; assuming your new shortblock would come with an oil pump which would also be damaged.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

+1^ I wouldnt be reinstalling anything to do with oil or coolant on the new short block if that rod lets go ( oil pickup, oil pump etc etc...), I saw one shoot out of a new Tribeca EZ36 and it took everything with it. I honestly wouldnt feel comfortable driving with it like that fore you dont know where the car is going to leave you if it does go...

Rod knock is not something you want to continue to drive with. Terrible idea. You've got a great shot of very quickly starting to destroy other engine compartment components pretty quickly as posted above.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading