Car misfiring, need help
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Car misfiring, need help within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My car is a 2003 Subaru WRX with 98k miles, stock except for the up-pipe(installed when I bought it), I ...

Car misfiring, need help

My car is a 2003 Subaru WRX with 98k miles, stock except for the up-pipe(installed when I bought it), I always use good gas in my car and haven't had any major problems like this since I got the car last year. The problem started about two weeks after I changed my spark plugs, which I later found out were gapped wrong and seemed to be the causation of my problem. It first misfired when I was getting on the highway and was at fairly high RPM(5-6k), there was a loss in power and the blinking CEL, which I've read and know is a misfire. Over the last day I've switched to a new set of properly gapped plugs but after the engine runs for a while I get a misfire all over again(haven't left my drive-way). Other than the new plugs and a visual inspection of the coil packs, I haven't done anything else to fix the problem because the alternatives all look expensive and I can't even pinpoint the problem as of now. I've been looking on other posts but I figured I should start my own instead of stealing somebody else's, so if anybody has any input it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

And if I'm missing any specifics, just say so
    A.K.A. The Stig

"Some say, if he caught fire he would burn for 1000 days, and that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nurburgring....all we know is, he's called The Stig" - Top Gear

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What code(s) are stored in the ECU?
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

It's a blinking CEL, which i saw was a general misfire, which is raw fuel reaching the cat. If its not too bad i'm gonna try to drive a mile and take it to an Autozone and see if I can figure out which cylinder is misfiring.
    A.K.A. The Stig

"Some say, if he caught fire he would burn for 1000 days, and that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nurburgring....all we know is, he's called The Stig" - Top Gear

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Yes, I have, I was just wondering if it had some weird correlation because the only thing I changed were my spark plugs. How would I be able to test the coil packs? just pull the plugs and test the spark with the boot connected? I guess I was looking for some other answers because of the link between changing spark plugs. Like, would using wrongly gapped spark plugs mess any other part of the engine or timing or something.
    A.K.A. The Stig

It will certainly mess up the converter, that's what the blinking CEL is telling you. Could definitely be related to the spark plugs. Could also be a coil, injector, vacuum leak, etc.... The code will at least give you a starting point
    Stink eye mob #727

Yeah, I'm gonna drive it up to the auto parts store and see if they can pull what cylinder it is and if there is anything else. So I guess I'll update this again when I figure more out
    A.K.A. The Stig

I Support ClubWRX
    The correlation would be the wrong plug type/gap, putting the wrong connector on the wrong coil or not having the connector/coil pack properly seated. Most of this is posted in that thread. "Black to back" is how the connectors should be on the coil packs. It also might be 100% coincidence that you caught an issue with the plugs and the problem is really something else. If there was an issue with the plugs I don't know why you wouldn't have had an issue right away.
    Last edited by Donkey; 03-29-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

ok, thanks for the information, I'll keep checking different things and seeing if I can't find the problem then.
    A.K.A. The Stig

Ok, so I figured out through changing the coil packs around that I'm constantly misfiring on Cylinder 2 only. I also did a compression check today and I have full compression on that cylinder after having changed out the spark plugs and checked the coil packs for spark on the plug. Since it's narrowed down to one cylinder I'm trying to figure out what else I can check, like the power going to the connectors or how to check for a bad injector. I also recently changed out my fuel pump and filter, and my old filter was relatively dirty but idk if that could have contributed. Any other ideas? I'm still looking for things to check in order to diagnose it, so any tips help.

*Edit: Also, when I pulled the number 2 spark plug, it had signs of not having a clean fire, like it was dirty as if there wasn't any combustion happening(obviously a misfire), I'm just wondering if that could be a problem with the spark, or not enough of a spark, because when I tested to check for spark it seemed that the number 4 cylinder was producing a stronger spark, but that could just be what it looked like to me. Just another tidbit of information
    Last edited by mav3rik64; 04-01-2011 at 06:00 PM.
    A.K.A. The Stig

You can use a noid light to check injector pulse. If you have pulse and no fuel, it's an injector. I there is no pulse, you have to dig further into the circuit
    Stink eye mob #727

Ok, I'll see about doing that next
    A.K.A. The Stig

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.