Clutch problem and maybe blown turbo - 2002 WRX

This is a discussion on Clutch problem and maybe blown turbo - 2002 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2002 WRX with 133k miles on it and I just recently changed the clutch (about 2000-3000 miles ...

Clutch problem and maybe blown turbo - 2002 WRX

I have a 2002 WRX with 133k miles on it and I just recently changed the clutch (about 2000-3000 miles ago) but recently I started to smell a burning smell like when the clutch broke last time. It has also been revving weird, 1st and 2nd gear seem fine, but when i get into 3rd it immediately jumps to around 5000rpms then drops down to 3000 then goes back up as i continue to accelerate. I also don't hear the sound of the turbo engaging, but it does still jump forward when it fixes itself after it drops back down to 3000 rpms. I'm not sure if this is a transmission or turbo problem. ALSO I had not changed the clutch fluid in a while so i decided to try that to see if it would fix it and I think I may have gotten air into it, i didn't bleed it yet, all i did was take fluid out and put new in and pump the clutch. The car starts up, but when i put it into 1st gear and let the clutch out, it doesn't stall. It also will not move when I try to accelerate, but this morning I had it running, it would take forever for it to get to 20mph in 1st gear and when i shifted to second i had to push the gas down hard and rev it high to get it to climb at all. PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by johnf; 03-28-2011 at 12:44 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like the clutch is toast to me. You might want to take it somewhere that can actually look at it to be sure.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    Since you can select gears with the motor on, but the revs climb without the car moving, that sounds like a slipping clutch.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

dang, i just replaced it not even 2 months ago, also could air in the slave cylinder be the problem? I think i may have taken too much of the fluid out of the clutch fluid reservoir when i was changing it last night and air may have gotten it, i did not bleed it yet to check
    Last edited by johnf; 03-28-2011 at 12:52 PM.