Rear washer tubing through hatch

This is a discussion on Rear washer tubing through hatch within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, a while ago, while diagnosing my two bad windshield washers (front was just pinched under the reservoir), I discovered ...

Rear washer tubing through hatch

So, a while ago, while diagnosing my two bad windshield washers (front was just pinched under the reservoir), I discovered the major trouble I was having in the back. Basically, the rubber in the hose turned to goo and fell apart - every time I sprayed, it was leaking onto my headliner in the very back driver's side of the car. I unplugged the motor so it would stop (although it still leaks every once in a while... dunno how).

It's been dead for a while, and that's fine. However, let's say I wanted to fix this. It seems that the tubing that goes from the car's body to the hatch is mostly bad. How on earth do I replace this tubing so that I can get the sprayer working again?
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hrm - did a search on google for this, and unfortunately, this came up as the first result

bumpers.

Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Go to a hardware or plumbing supply store and look for the closest kind of hose and get some hose clamps and just rebuild it as needed... I had to do this in my old jeep and it was a very tedious job, but also very cheap and worked great... If you get the parts from the dealer, they'll charge you an arm and a leg... good luck man...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I was wondering more about the actual hatch tubing - I really can't seem to see how to get at the tubing between what I can see under the headliner and where it hits the sprayer - there doesn't seem to be any way to get that part of the hatch apart. Any tips on that bit?

I doubt all of the tubing is bad. You probably have a leak right near the sprayer. If that is the case just patch it like 06scoobyrex suggested.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I doubt all of the tubing is bad. You probably have a leak right near the sprayer. If that is the case just patch it like 06scoobyrex suggested.
    If I get a chance, I'll take a picture, but I can assure you that the problem is at least partially above the headliner, not in the hatch part. I can tell that's true because the tubing there is goo and has holes in it.

Unfortunately they route it through the body in these, I have replaced some before you just have to take your time and not get frustrated haha, the foresters had a slightly better design where at least after it came through the hatch it would kind of make its way down to the trunk and follow the floor to the front....

I figured out how to get at what I needed - fortunately that grommet bit that goes between the body and the hatch pulls straight out on both sides. Got some tubing at the hardware store, spliced it in where the tubing simply... disappeared (???), and it's all solved!

I'm not sure how I would have gotten at it if there actually were a problem next to the sprayer. But, fortunately, all the tubing between there and the hatch interface was good. If anyone needs help with a similar issue, let me know and I can take pictures.