Overheating Problems
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Overheating Problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I have an 02 WRX STi and am having overheating problems. The temp gauge sits fine for almost 1km ...

Overheating Problems

Hello, I have an 02 WRX STi and am having overheating problems. The temp gauge sits fine for almost 1km and then just goes straight up to the red. When I open the bonnet I have some water spraying up through the overflow and have lost some water but theres no leaking. My uncle has been helping me and hes gotten rid of the air pockets but its still doing that, hes thinking it may be the head gasket, what do you guys reckon? And how can I check the head gasket? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    You need to pressure test the system, check the oil see if it has coolant contamination, check the coolant for oil
    Contamination. If there is no obvious leaks, the system holds pressure then it is time to check the tstat/water pump/fan/sensors.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Thanks for the suggestions, how do i pressure test it? The oil and coolant look fine (although the oil is a fair bit overfull :s) how do i check the tstat, water pump and sensors?

To check for a head gasket, buy or rent a block tester. it's a 2 part chamber that you put fluid in that changes color in the presence of hydrocarbons in your cooling system. I would guess that if you've bleed the system of all air, the head gasket is your problem. Try starting the car cold and see if the hoses build pressure before the system is warm, that could be an indication of a head gasket as well.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

maybe you should try a Gasket Repair Kit

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.