Electrical Issues/voltage too high? help please.

This is a discussion on Electrical Issues/voltage too high? help please. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, 05 rex, just got new heads new gaskets valve cover seals etc through dealership it was bought from. Compression ...

Exclamation Electrical Issues/voltage too high? help please.

So, 05 rex, just got new heads new gaskets valve cover seals etc through dealership it was bought from. Compression is 100% on all 4 no leaks everythings good now. Only issue is there not letting it go due to an electrical issue. They're saying its running great but feels like its lackin some power when hitting boost. When I had the car before it was gettin fixed it had a rough start up, almost studdered kinda, took longer than my old bugeye then it would start. Also when I plugged in the AP to run stage 1 it shot me a warning saying the "voltage was too high " at I believe something close to 13.0456 volts.

I talked to a friend who's a tech for toyota and has built a few cars and he said 9/10 times its the restrictor? In the alternator going causing it to overcharge and its not being regulated correctly. And he said the best bet is to replace the alternator and go from there. Is this true?

I would appreciate any input, I want my car back, its been almost 3 months of problems and its so close to being home.

Thanks guys!
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Bblue Rrex View Post
    I talked to a friend who's a tech for toyota and has built a few cars and he said 9/10 times its the restrictor? In the alternator going causing it to overcharge and its not being regulated correctly. And he said the best bet is to replace the alternator and go from there. Is this true?
    No. There is no restrictor. What your friend may have been thinking is the voltage regulator. That is in fact housed in the alternator, so replacing one does replace the other. The voltage measured by your AP is not abnormal though I don't think.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

check your grounds. A bad ground will make starting weird and will also make a floating point which gives weird voltage comparisons.
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

Sorry, regulator is what he said, I messed that up lol. Alright. Then why is the AP shootin a warning for the voltage being too high? I though off the volts should be around 12.5. Not 13+.

Also, could it possibly be the battery? And I though of grounds too. Ill mention that to the dumb**** dealership too
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

while running above idle you should see 13.8 +/- at the alternator.. given voltage drop across the system you should see at least mid- high 12's at the fuse block. Have you pulled the alternator and had it tested? Any autoparts store should be able to do that for you. A bad battery might cause LOW voltage issues but not high.. this is DEFINITELY a regulator problem if you actually have a problem.

Before you pay for any diagnosis.. yank the alternator and have it tested.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    while running above idle you should see 13.8 +/- at the alternator.. given voltage drop across the system you should see at least mid- high 12's at the fuse block. Have you pulled the alternator and had it tested? Any autoparts store should be able to do that for you. A bad battery might cause LOW voltage issues but not high.. this is DEFINITELY a regulator problem if you actually have a problem.

Before you pay for any diagnosis.. yank the alternator and have it tested.
    Idk if I stated it, but I'm not the one doing the work, or paying for it. Its this dealership in PA..basicly a bunch of shady scamartists that I made the mistake of giving my business...the techs are halfa** twits that don't know too much. So ill definitely tell them this. I told them I just want the alternator and regulator replaced
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

Idk if I stated it, but I'm not the one doing the work, or paying for it. Its this dealership in PA..basicly a bunch of shady scamartists that I made the mistake of giving my business...the techs are halfa** twits that don't know too much. So ill definitely tell them this. I told them I just want the alternator and regulator replaced
    Which dealer?

AutoExchangeUSA in lancaster pa, off harrisburg pike....wish I NEVER would have given them my business, but we all make mistakes and its slowly gettin better.
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Excessive voltage would be above 15volts. 13.0 volts with the car at idle and no load is low..........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Excessive voltage would be above 15volts. 13.0 volts with the car at idle and no load is low..........
    I said when I flashed the ecu it shot a warning saying 13.whatever volts. The car wasn't idling. The car was off with no power to any accessories .
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

what brand battery are you have in under the hood?. i have a stock subaru (Panasonic) battery, and have a capacitor with a volt read out with my amp, when i put the key in the ignition before starting it sits at 12.4v. w/ engine running at idle it sits around 14.2v, without any music pumping through. the battery is almost 4 years old.
    MANNY
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #134

https://www.facebook.com/L1G3R

2007 WRB WRX TR, Stage 2.5, SPT Intake, Full Invidia 3" Exhaust w/ N1, ISC Coilovers, 17x8 RPF1 w/ Hankook VENTUS V4, DIY Engine Grounding.

Like I said.the cars bein worked on by the dealership..uh..."tech" I honestly don't know the kind of battery. But if yours is at 12..4 volts with the car off...then 13.04 is high. Does that mean the regulator is shot and needs to be replaced? Because like I said the little I had the car when you would turn the key it would sound as if its struggling to start up.....pretty much tryna aid the nit wits working on my car so I can have it back faster.
    2002 WRB WRX
    Bugeye Mafia #335
    High Mileage Club 106K

My Pics

what? wait.. so you have 13v without the car running.. but it struggles to start? ....... something doesn't add up here. Any stereo system in the car? What electrical accessories if any do you have installed?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    I said when I flashed the ecu it shot a warning saying 13.whatever volts. The car wasn't idling. The car was off with no power to any accessories .
    Take battery voltage with car off at the battery. Now start car and take voltage again when the car is fully warmed up. If the voltage is over 15v warm then the alternators voltage regulator is shot and is overcharging the battery. Have the battery load tested as well. Also for some reason bugeyes have an issue with this code popping up with flashing the ECU whether it's the AP or Opensource. The easy way around it is to turn on your lights or some accessories to bring the voltage down.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S