Sick Boost

This is a discussion on Sick Boost within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 02 wrx wagon ap flashed stage 2 with a megan header full catless turbo rfl exhaust stp ...

Sick Boost

I have an 02 wrx wagon ap flashed stage 2 with a megan header full catless turbo rfl exhaust stp intake
    and perrin turbo inlet tube sti IC w/ a crushed BPV and thats it as far as the engine although I did just replace the three engine mounts since mine were pretty much beat.

the problem is today on my way back home I got on the car to pass a mustang when the boost practically tossed me like a cookie into the back of the seat.

when I checked the ap since it maintains your highest boost it said 22psi in 4th gear so I started playing with it alittle turns out the boost is much higher than it should be what happens is it picks up sometimes quicker than others and hits high then just drops off then picks back up again and then drops again then picks up and drops again you get the point by now right it does this in all gears sometimes it wont pick up for quite awhile then it just spikes way up.

my highsest boost is usually 16.8psi in 5th.

I have a few friends who seem to think its the crushed bpv so I'm gonna replace it with the original one and check all the boost lines for leaks. I also just reflashed the ecu to stage 2 again (which took like 2 seconds so im guessing thats not it.)

I myself have done some research and the only thing I can find is maybe if its not the crushed BPV the boost solenoid?

as far as the car it still idles fine no stranger sounds then it usually makes any help would be much appreciated as im moving to Texas from Pennsylvania on sunday and the car needs to be ready for the trip.
    Cobb 2, megan header and up-pipe, catless turbo xs rfl tbe, and other stuff...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Research boost spike. I advise putting the stock recirc back on. You can also get a boost spike if you are running catless.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Been running catless for over 2yrs w/o any probs till now just replaced the original bpv gonna ops check it in about 15mins
    Will update!!

It was the BPV plus my actual auto meter gauge is way off thinking its about time to retire it but I checked with the ap highest it went was 16.1psi in 5th gear but I been hitting about 16.8 since I went cat-less and put the perrin turbo inlet tube on.

so basically Crushed BPV's are the Devil... They might work for awhile but as it was explained to me by a guy who actually used to be a licensed Subaru tech the seal inside the BPV will eventually fail causing boost fluctuations.

But after replacing the original I'm all good again

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    Good deal, stock recirc is best until high boost levels.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300