AC Compressor lags car
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on AC Compressor lags car within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I picked up a 2004 WRX last October with about 56000 miles on. No complaints - it's amazing to drive. ...

AC Compressor lags car

I picked up a 2004 WRX last October with about 56000 miles on. No complaints - it's amazing to drive. I've never owned a WRX or a turbocharged car in general, so I'm unsure of something.

Now that the weather is starting to pick up, naturally, I'm using the AC. I've noticed that whenever the compressor kicks on, the car "skips" or sputters, almost like a misfire. It's VERY noticeable if I'm accelerating at the time. It's definitely the AC starting up; I experimented a bit by turning it on and off - having it off, accelerating, and then turning it on. Big hiccup.

Is this normal?

EDIT: No mods.
    Last edited by HDane; 03-23-2011 at 06:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

KHP
    I do feel a slight hesitation in my car when running below boost when the AC compressor kicks in. It's most likely the increased load on the engine. My car does not skip or sputter though. My uncle's car (not a Subaru) had a AC compressor clutch failure and when his AC engaged it would almost stall the engine when its sitting at idle.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

It's normal to feel that loss. Not a ton of internal rotating mass in a 4 cylinder engine, so any additional load is felt quick. I only need AC for ~3 months a year (600 miles north of US border), and I never turn it on for that reason, car just doesn't feel as snappy.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I suppose it's not that it doesn't feel as quick, it's just there's a noticeable jerk which seems to be amplified when accelerating.

So.. normal?

Normal, so long as it isn't violent in nature.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

KHP
    Oops! I also forgot to add that it's normal like the above. ^^^
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Definitely normal.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.