Subaru WRX Forum banner

Seafoam Poll

8K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  EJ257 
#1 ·
Who uses it?

If you use it, what'd you do with it?

What were your results (positive or negative and why)

What Year and Model car?

#2 ·
I have used it on my Legacy and my Outback and have had phenomenal results with both of them. In my opinion there are very few products out there that you can say " WOW this really works" and seafoam is one of them. 96' Legacy and 00' Outback, havent had a need to use it on the WRX yet considering the motor only has around 15k miles... ;) OH vacuum induction and fuel induction on both of them...

#3 ·
I use it!

Vacuum lines, oil, and gas! Tri-fecta, you betcha.

Positive. Smoother idle, less shaky first gear when i let the idle carry me through parking lots, etc., and cleaner oil when I change it.

2006 WRX Limited

#4 ·
I don't use it, gas is a lot better than it used to be. I will typically run Redline SP1 through the system once a year however. Perhaps at some point I will, but not yet.

My wife used to moonlight as Seafoam's accountant when she lived in MN.

#5 ·
I'm planning on doing it soon (when it warms up a bit - I'll be doing an oil change right after).

My plan is to split the can in thirds - one for the vacuum line, one for the oil, and one for the gas tank. I'll do the right procedure for the vacuum one, run it around the block twice (a couple miles), and do the oil change.

#7 ·
Make sure you have the right proportion of seafoam to gas since you're going by thirds of a can. There 16 oz. in a can, so make sure you have between 5-6 gallons in the tank!

#6 ·
I used it in my '02 WRX 1/3 in gas tank and the rest in vac line off the BPV... Seemed better than before but maybe that was just wishful thinking... Not as much smoke came out as I thought was going to, but my engine was in perfect running condition with 300,000KMs/187,500Miles. :)

#9 ·
I use it as a maintenence item for my cars. I pour a can into the tank every 10,000 miles or so and on occasion directly introduce it into the intake manifold, but never let it pool in the cylinders.

I would never pour it in my crankcase though. I have a friend who was part of the TRG race team and now a mechanic for exotic cars and he warned me how the seafoam slowly ruins your gaskets and seals in the engine block.

#11 · (Edited)
I've used it in various applications.. works efffin awesome. Seriously, I'm usually very skeptical of anything in a can that says it fixes things... but that stuff works on everything I've put it in.

Only drawback.. it smokes like hell for a little while as its cleaning off the carbon. My x's first honda was a trainwreck and after dumping that stuff in there it started gaining in power and fuel mileage. I was shocked but instantly converted.

so far I've used it in

stock 86 merkur (2.3l turbo) via fuel system and vac lines
89 honda accord via fuel system and vac lines
00 honda accord v6 via fuel system
04 Chevy impalla 2.4l 4cyl (g-parents car, never driven hard, rarely up to op temp) via vac lines and fuel system
early 90's Troybuilt lawn mower (briggs engine) via fuel system
99 honda 400ex via fuel system

In the worst ones (89 honda and the 86 merkur) I noticed a huge improvement in driveability and Idle quality.. also saw fuel mileage and response improvement in the honda. I always drove the merkur like I stole it so I cant really say anything about fuel mileage on that. My lawn mower is easier to start now and seems to last longer on a tank of fuel and idles better. The only one I didn't see any improvement on was the honda atv.. I'm thinking it was purely because I always ran the dog piss out of it and rarely ran it out of op temp and I bought it new so it was always well taken care of.. at least until it was stolen. lol.. after that I cant tell ya, but I hope it blew up and injured the thieving rider. Barstarp!

anyhow, I digress.. its a great product and one of the very few I'd actually say does exactly what the advertising hype says it will do. I've never put it in a crankcase though.. I'm just a firm believer in good quality high detergent oils and regular maintenance. If you're using the right oil and changing it when you're supposed to you really shouldn't need to "clean" the crankcase. Not with modern oils anyway.

#14 ·
The idea I got was that you run it in with the oil for only about 5-10 miles before you do an oil change. The solvents have time to work, and it doesn't wreck your engine.

@shadowpr: I think the stuff is mostly liquefied styrofoam, actually - look it up if you're interested in the chemicals ;) . There's really no reason to run it on a new car, because it won't have many carbon deposits to get rid of. You can do it, but it'll probably be a waste. In a few years, it'll be great for your car.

#16 ·
Trainrex said:
It's good for cleaning a little sludge out of the intake tract. It's good for cleaning a little bit of deposits from injectors. It's VERY bad to dilute oil with ANY type of solvent. Especially on a 2.5 with an already weak rod bearing setup.
I run ~¼-can my intake tract and gas tank only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.