First UOA 2011 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on First UOA 2011 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I finally got my results from Blackstone Labs today. I believe the results isn't too bad especially remembering that ...

KHP

First UOA 2011 WRX

So I finally got my results from Blackstone Labs today. I believe the results isn't too bad especially remembering that the engine is new. From the results the oil sheared quite a bit (maybe because it's dino oil?). Other than that all the wear numbers seems acceptable for a break in what do you guys think?

I'm looking to do another sample at their suggested interval (5000 miles) and also doing a TBN then since I switched to M1 Extended Performance for the next interval. Hopefully the new one does not shear and wear numbers improve.
    Last edited by KHP; 10-20-2011 at 09:30 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Dino oil???? shouldn't you be running synthetic
    Yes dear polishing the underside of the rocker panels IS important.

KHP
    Yeah I ran dino oil for ~2750 miles. Replaced factory fill at ~1000 total miles on the car. I don't think synthetic would have made that big of a difference with such a short interval. I also wasn't racing the engine all that much. It's now running Synthetic.
    Last edited by KHP; 03-21-2011 at 08:47 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nothing unusual I don't think. Mobil do not seem to use much moly I suppose. I doubt the wear numbers will stabilize this year, I think the motor is too new.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

KHP
    Hmm... I'm hoping that the synthetic counterpart wouldn't shear out of specification like the natural base counterpart only after ~2750 miles. I've read many people claim that Mobil Oils both synthetic (Mobil 1) and natural base tend to shear easily in our engines. I'm actually now thinking of sending a sample in at 3750 Miles instead of 5000 just to make sure the oil is still to spec. Does anyone else here use Mobil 1 Oil and have done UOA? I'm curious about your experience. If the oil shears again then I'll be forced to look at a different oil brand.

I Support ClubWRX
    Blackstone do not seem concerned.

I have used two M1 variants but I don't think you can use either under warranty. I used 5W-40 TurboDiesel Truck, that did not shear, and 0W-40 "Euro" formula, that allegedly thins initially only to thicken up at the end of its life. I use both for at least 5K miles (I refuse at this point in life to change oil more frequently than that). I never did a UOA on the 0W-40 to see for myself whether it thins then thickens as they say, since I never worried enough about it to care.

See how the synth does I suppose.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Ahhh I was hoping you did a UOA on the 5w-30 Genuine Subaru Synthetic Oil

KHP
    Yeah... unfortunately no... I think I got my car right before they started doing Synthetic factory fill anyway(The car was of October build). Then they release a service announcement where all cars must use synthetic right after that. From what I've heard the Subaru Synthetic oil performs very well and made by a real reputable company. I'm pretty sure you're good with that oil, but if you're really curious like me you should send in a sample yourself. It's always interesting to see the technical side of things. Like for me it was interesting to see that my oil broke down to 5W-20 oil. Granted I didn't run it very long it was nice to see that it didn't affect my metals at all that I can see.

Blackstone does not look too concerned, but I just want to make sure that the oil that I use in the future if I was to follow the new 7500 Mile intervals can hold up.

Ya I was planning on getting it scoped out after another OCI cycle. I'm just curious to see if it will shear down to a 20 weight oil since most energy conserving 30 weight oils shear down pretty easily in our cars. For 7 bucks a quart I would hope this stuff has good shear stability.

I broke mine in with dino and switched to the suby synthetic and so far so good. No burn off at all and I average about 22 mpg with mixed driving. I just drive like normal with a few spirited sprints if ya know what I mean.

Very nice car and color choice btw! Almost makes me wish I waited for a 2011!

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by daijoubu-yo View Post
    Ya I was planning on getting it scoped out after another OCI cycle. I'm just curious to see if it will shear down to a 20 weight oil since most energy conserving 30 weight oils shear down pretty easily in our cars. For 7 bucks a quart I would hope this stuff has good shear stability.

I broke mine in with dino and switched to the suby synthetic and so far so good. No burn off at all and I average about 22 mpg with mixed driving. I just drive like normal with a few spirited sprints if ya know what I mean.
    Yeah I guess trial and error with UOA will teach us the best oil to run in our engines. It's kind of surprising that Subaru requires energy conserving oil since the majority of "high quality" ester oils like Redline/Motul/Amsoil has the correct rating without energy conserving tag. I'm really all for keeping my warranty so we have to keep them happy.

That was the same idea for me is to run classic break in with dino oil and switched to synthetic. Engine seems happy no burn offs and purrs like a kitteh as well.

You have a nice car as well and a great color choice Silver FTW!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Yeah I guess trial and error with UOA will teach us the best oil to run in our engines. It's kind of surprising that Subaru requires energy conserving oil since the majority of "high quality" ester oils like Redline/Motul/Amsoil has the correct rating without energy conserving tag. I'm really all for keeping my warranty so we have to keep them happy.
    Energy conserving oils are here to stay in my view, and probably rightfully so. I think when one looks at the effects on an entire nation's "fleet" of vehicles, they make an important difference. I also don't think the wear due to these oils is significant compared to older oils, and even if there are problems along the way they can be overcome since oils are improving so much. Just my view. My Honda uses a 5W-20, it's like yellow water going in! Yet the motor only requires oil roughly every 7K, and a filter every 14K. Subaru, with their 3750 mi intervals, are behind the times I think.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post

That was the same idea for me is to run classic break in with dino oil and switched to synthetic. Engine seems happy no burn offs and purrs like a kitteh as well.

You have a nice car as well and a great color choice Silver FTW!

Thanks dude! Silver FTW for sure. Very low maintenance color. I wish it had more pop after a wash and wax but I still love it. I owned two black cars before this one and the color is sexy but a big PITA to maintain.

A lot of WRX and STI owners swear by the Rotella T6 5-40 Heavy Duty Engine Oil/HDEO. It's for diesel applications but carries a SM rating so it is approved for gasoline engines. It is cheap for a full synthetic and has very good shear stability. I will probably start using that once my warranty is up. It is not an energy conserving oil either. Maybe lose 1-2 MPG using it but the added engine protection is worth it IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Energy conserving oils are here to stay in my view, and probably rightfully so. I think when one looks at the effects on an entire nation's "fleet" of vehicles, they make an important difference. I also don't think the wear due to these oils is significant compared to older oils, and even if there are problems along the way they can be overcome since oils are improving so much. Just my view. My Honda uses a 5W-20, it's like yellow water going in! Yet the motor only requires oil roughly every 7K, and a filter every 14K. Subaru, with their 3750 mi intervals, are behind the times I think.

I agree with you on that. With all the new MPG standards nowadays and in the future 5w-20 is going to be the go to. It's cheaper as well. But for turbocharged engines 5w-20 is just too thin I think. The turbo beats the piss out of motor oil and you want to use something with good quality. For N/A vehicles like your Honda, 5w-20 is definitely a-ok.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by daijoubu-yo View Post
    I agree with you on that. With all the new MPG standards nowadays and in the future 5w-20 is going to be the go to. It's cheaper as well. But for turbocharged engines 5w-20 is just too thin I think. The turbo beats the piss out of motor oil and you want to use something with good quality. For N/A vehicles like your Honda, 5w-20 is definitely a-ok.
    I see what you're saying. It's true that I run something thicker in my Subaru. I think and hope though that soon enough a 20W will come along that will be just fine for any motor, turbo or not. I do have to top up the Honda with about 1 qt every 6k mi, but that's not bad at all and the motor is nearing 120k. Now, the M1 30 shearing to a 20 is a shame really, since they've been such good oils for so many years. People should not have to worry about M1, any weight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.