First UOA 2011 WRX - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on First UOA 2011 WRX within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by SD_GR I see what you're saying. It's true that I run something thicker in my Subaru. I ...

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I see what you're saying. It's true that I run something thicker in my Subaru. I think and hope though that soon enough a 20W will come along that will be just fine for any motor, turbo or not. I do have to top up the Honda with about 1 qt every 6k mi, but that's not bad at all and the motor is nearing 120k. Now, the M1 30 shearing to a 20 is a shame really, since they've been such good oils for so many years. People should not have to worry about M1, any weight.
    Yeah my family has been running Mobil 1 oils in all our vehicles and all have been running great. Since this is my first turbocharged car that may not be the case. I'm still that synthetic would hold up to the pulp beating of the turbo.

Btw... I just received a reply back from SOA concerning the new OCI that's actually written to my name and have an attached tracking code. We'll see if we can hit 7500 miles (eventually) as Subaru claims without beating the oil into pulp.

Letter Below

Dear <Me>:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Congratulations on the purchase of your 2011 WRX. I hope that you are enjoying it.

Subaru of America maintenance recommendations are found in the "Warranty and Maintenance" booklet. We recommend maintenance services every 7,500 miles and require synthetic engine oil for your WRX. Your dealer recommends maintenance services every 3,750 miles. For all of your dealer recommendations in between ours, <Me>, the recommendation is always and only for an oil change.

The maintenance reminder program is a dealer based program. You will receive maintenance reminders every 3,750 miles on behalf of your dealer through an automated program regardless if you follow our or your dealer's maintenance schedule.

Subaru of America recommends that you at least follow our minimum recommendations for maintenance. This will keep your WRX in good operating condition and all warranties intact. Doing as your dealer recommends will aid in the performance of your vehicle. You as the owner will need to decide on which schedule to follow.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of service. If you need any future assistance, <Me>, please let us know. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.
    Customer/Dealer Services Department
    Last edited by KHP; 03-23-2011 at 07:33 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The SOA response is clear and IMO helpful. A good thing to have.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by KHP View Post
    Yeah I guess trial and error with UOA will teach us the best oil to run in our engines. It's kind of surprising that Subaru requires energy conserving oil since the majority of "high quality" ester oils like Redline/Motul/Amsoil has the correct rating without energy conserving tag. I'm really all for keeping my warranty so we have to keep them happy.

That was the same idea for me is to run classic break in with dino oil and switched to synthetic. Engine seems happy no burn offs and purrs like a kitteh as well.

You have a nice car as well and a great color choice Silver FTW!
    The odd thing about the energy conserving requirement is if you check the manual it shows 5w30, 5w40, 10w30 and 10w40 on the temperature chart and to my limited knowledge no 40 weight oil is energy conserving. So, as long as you follow the SM rating with those weights you should be fine for warranty.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    The odd thing about the energy conserving requirement is if you check the manual it shows 5w30, 5w40, 10w30 and 10w40 on the temperature chart and to my limited knowledge no 40 weight oil is energy conserving. So, as long as you follow the SM rating with those weights you should be fine for warranty.
    Hmm... thats a very good point.

KHP
    So I just got the results back for my 2nd UOA. Everything seemed to have improved except for sodium. Do you guys think I should be concerned about it? I do hope I don't have antifreeze leak.

Attachment 100079
    Last edited by KHP; 10-20-2011 at 08:40 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Get hold of the MSDS for the motor oil used and see if they list Na or K as either elements or in compounds.

Likewise check the MSDS for the coolant you are using.

I see your car is parked in what looks like snow? Does your area use salt on the roads?

Did you install any new components with new gaskets (and/or a "gasket maker" style sealant)?

Has the intake been opened at all (filter, work, whatever) during this UOA?

Are they and you both sure M1 does not use Na in its additive package? I know some Valvolines do, for example.

If it were antifreeze I'd kinda expect K to also be elevated and/or the sample to actually test + for antifreeze. In fact, they could/should/might be able to detect water also, and they have not.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

KHP
    Unfortunately MSDS that I can find for Mobil 1 EP is pretty vague and didn't really list elements or compunds. I'm not quite sure how to get the MSDS for coolant since its the oem fill of Subaru "super antifreeze".

The picture was from winter time last year and my last oil change was after everything have melted off.

Haven't modded anything on the car yet at least concerning the drivetrain and engine.

I haven't personally opened the airbox at all.

I do hope that the Na is a part of the M1 additive package instead of the coolant.

As of now from what you have pointed out it seems impossible for the Na to come from the cooling system (Which I agree with you). They didn't find a trace of water in the oil and potassium level isn't elevated at all.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK you can take a wait-and-see stance and hopefully you won't see a trend of elevated Na.

Since SOA sell the coolant they should be able to provide an MSDS but that may take some prodding. You can email Mobil, tell them you are seeing Na in your UOA, and ask if they use Na in their additive package and see what they say if you are curious. Or if you are lucky you might find a VOA of the M1 variant you used and see if the VOA has Na.

KHP
    Alright I think I have figured it out... I posted my UOA at BITOG and they gave me an idea of where my sodium is coming from.

One guy pointed out that Blackstone Labs may have screwed up entering my data for sodium on my first UOA. He pointed out that Mobil Clean 5000 (GF-4, SM) and Mobil Super 5000 (GF-5, SN) are known for high sodium additive package. I looked for VOA on both and I was surprised to see that they both have sodium content of ~250-~300ppm. My first UOA had a whopping 2ppm for Na . The 38ppm of Na in my latest UOA may have come from the residual oil (bottom of oil pan and other parts) left in the engine from when I switched oils.

I'm also expecting to see about the same amount of Na in my next UOA due to the fact that I have a habit of flushing "clean oil" (Mobil Super 5000 5W-30) in between oil changes to flush out all the dirty oil out of the engine. So again I'll have some residual Mobil Super 5000 5W-30 in my engine resulting in high Na result.

SD_GR thanks for telling me to look at VOA's on oils that I used. I think I can have peace of mind for now. We'll see my next result probably at 5000 miles. I'll do a TBN test then and see if the oil is safe to run up to 7500 miles.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am glad to hear it. By the way, you do not need to flush clean oil through the system between oil changes. If you have clean oil, well just use it in the motor. Don't believe me though -- look at your UOA data vs. anyone's that doesn't flush clean oil between changes, and you will see that if both motors are OK, the data are comparable.

Anyway, good news on the Na it seems!

SD

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    By the way, you do not need to flush clean oil through the system between oil changes. If you have clean oil, well just use it in the motor. Don't believe me though -- look at your UOA data vs. anyone's that doesn't flush clean oil between changes, and you will see that if both motors are OK, the data are comparable.

SD
    Good point. I'll probably skip that step on my next oil change. If so then we should see a big drop in Na content for my future oil changes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12