Timing Belt
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Timing Belt within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whaddup all, Silverstitch is turning 115k this month and unfortunately I've neglected the timing belt and don't want my engine ...

Timing Belt

Whaddup all,

Silverstitch is turning 115k this month and unfortunately I've neglected the timing belt and don't want my engine to kamikaze.

Going to get this done next weekend most likely, but in an effort to save some money I'd like to buy the kit prior to bringing it to my local shop.

I did some searching on the site and saw someone recommend this set. Does this look legit?

Import Image Racing: Subaru DOHC Timing Belt Kit for 02-07 WRX/STI

Thanks
    Just call me Clark Kent
    ---------------------------------------
    Offical Body Guard for the Bugeye Mafia.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The only problem I see is that it doesn't come with the idler pulleys. Those idlers are something you really want to look close at when you get in there to make sure they're still good. You don't want to have to do this whole process again in another 10k simply because an idler pulley decided to crap the bed.

This kit at JSC Speed has the idlers included, which should be a consideration.
    02-07 WRX & STI Gates OEM Timing Kits & Components: JSC Speed

You'll want to get a new thermostat as well (Subaru OEM, aftermarket ones are just wastes of money, and don't work as well). Make sure you have all of your gaskets as well, nothing worse than having to make a trip to the dealership to get a new gasket while you're in the middle of the change.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I really like import image. If you have an issue email josh, the owner and he will answer you himself and address any concerns.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

I Support ClubWRX
    Do yourself a favour and use the Subaru gaskets for both the water pump and the thermostat. Also use a Subaru thermostat. This is the kit I used for my 2002, but I got Subaru gaskets, thermostat, and coolant in addition to this:

STi & WRX Performance Parts: Gates Complete Timing Kit, '02-'03 WRX

Be aware one of the bolts for a roller may have changed length; you may or may not have a problem and if you do, you need to find the correct length bolt. I don't remember if it's longer or shorter you need; mine were all OK to use.

When you get the rollers, look them over closely for any burrs and if they have any, smooth them out.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I saw that JSC kit but I was kind of hoping to get by without dropping the extra $150. Largely because I expect I'll need a new clutch in the next 6 months.

I'll be dropping it off at a shop to get the work done so I'll make sure they have proper gaskets before-hand. What are the chances of the idler pulley going bad? I have not really heard of this happening.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex View Post
    I saw that JSC kit but I was kind of hoping to get by without dropping the extra $150. Largely because I expect I'll need a new clutch in the next 6 months.

I'll be dropping it off at a shop to get the work done so I'll make sure they have proper gaskets before-hand. What are the chances of the idler pulley going bad? I have not really heard of this happening.
    My pulleys did not feel new by any means but they were not on the verge of failure either. I changed them all anyway. The tensioner goes bad more frequently I think -- but you have to remove at least one of the pulleys (the lower one) to replace the belt anyway and they are all right there.

I plan to keep the car, decided to DIY the repairs, and after talking to the more experienced members here I also decided to do the oil seals for all four camshafts plus the crankshaft. They were not leaking but they were hardened. YMMV and how deep you want to go into this is your call ultimately.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Do yourself a favour and use the Subaru gaskets for both the water pump and the thermostat. Also use a Subaru thermostat. This is the kit I used for my 2002, but I got Subaru gaskets, thermostat, and coolant in addition to this:

STi & WRX Performance Parts: Gates Complete Timing Kit, '02-'03 WRX

Be aware one of the bolts for a roller may have changed length; you may or may not have a problem and if you do, you need to find the correct length bolt. I don't remember if it's longer or shorter you need; mine were all OK to use.

When you get the rollers, look them over closely for any burrs and if they have any, smooth them out.
    Thanks!

So this kit comes with the extra pulleys, correct?
    And I can get the OEM gaskets as an add-on for $7 it seems. That's not a bad price for everything.

Is the thermostat really that important?
    Just call me Clark Kent

I'll be keeping the car for a long time. At this point she's worth more to me personally than she's worth in regard to market-value.
    Even if I find myself in a car a year or two down the line I'll still hold onto the bugeye. That being said, I don't want to be dumping unnecessary money into her either.
    Just call me Clark Kent

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks!

So this kit comes with the extra pulleys, correct?
    Mine did, but I urge you to email them and ask what the specific contents are, and whether it is in stock. You'll then know all the info and can make an informed decision.

And I can get the OEM gaskets as an add-on for $7 it seems. That's not a bad price for everything.
    Since I went to a dealer site for the gaskets, I don't know whether both the water pump and thermostat gasket are included.

Is the thermostat really that important?
    Mine was fine when I changed it. However, the thermostat housing is on the front of the water pump. You are removing and replacing the thermostat housing if you are removing and replacing the water pump. This means you are going to need a gasket anyway, and the thermostat is something like $10 or so. Two bolts attach the housing to the water pump.

If you are taking the car to a shop, ask them if they are comfortable with Gates and what their experiences have been. My impressions are here:

Gates Timing Belt Kit - My Impressions

and the advice I got on how to remove and replace the oil seals is here:

Cam seals, crank seal: Replacement? How?

while a good how-to on the belt/pump process is here:

Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement

Maybe you could contact both Oakos and JSC and see what each of their kits contains, and whether one will price match the other etc. and act accordingly.

Since you are having a pro do the work, give yourself and him/her some time, so that you can swing by the shop when the front cover is off and the two of you can look over the motor, and you can then decide what you absolutely want done and what not.

Happy shopping!

SD
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-18-2011 at 09:13 PM.

Superbly helpful and informative as usual SD. Thanks!
    Just call me Clark Kent

I like the oakos site i just saved my self a shat ton of money than some of the other sites ive been using even what my service manager quoted me at my shop thank god for this thread
    Last edited by scoobaru03; 03-23-2011 at 07:28 AM.
    2003 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon

"I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Is it fast? I don't even know if its street legal. O.o (IROC-Z)

So I found a local shop that will do the job (tensioner pulleys, belt, water pump, therm, etc... with all OEM parts for $580 (labor included). Seems like a good price, no?

A couple other more "posh" shops quoted me over $1k!
    Just call me Clark Kent

So I found a local shop that will do the job (tensioner pulleys, belt, water pump, therm, etc... with all OEM parts for $580 (labor included). Seems like a good price, no?

A couple other more "posh" shops quoted me over $1k!
    That's a pretty good price. If you trust their work I'd say go for it!
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree the price is very attractive. If the shop is reputable and professional, it is a good deal IMO.

Be diplomatic but remind them the hood is made of aluminium, and it will bend if they push it shut with their hands -- drop it shut instead.

That is very good, thats nearly the price alone for just the gates timeing belt kit... Almost seems too good to be true, may need to see if they use New parts, and actual OEM parts, not just "OEM grade" or "OEM quality".
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast