Intercooler Fin Repair?

This is a discussion on Intercooler Fin Repair? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, my intercooler on my 06 is pretty well nicked and dented across the top. I really dont have too ...

Intercooler Fin Repair?

Well, my intercooler on my 06 is pretty well nicked and dented across the top. I really dont have too much interest in getting another unit (stage 1 setup is about my performance extent, and not necessary to replace stock unit). I was wonder if there is a non-detrimental tool, kit and/or process for straighting out the intercooler fins and a cleaner for safe cleaning it of collected dirt and grime?
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

if you are talking about just minor damage to the fins of the intercooler, those are easy to fix. it's a process called "combing" try to get your intercooler as clean as possible using some compressed air to blow out all the dust and bug guts. then, just straighten the fins that are bent. use a tool like a small flathead screwdriver, or even tweezers. i seem the have the best luck with my fingernails. be carefull not to break any of the fins, or your fingernails. both are painful for different reasons
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX

I see. Thanks for the help. Probably take a good look at it and determine wether to get the comb or "manually" straighten the fins and clean the intercooler.
    2006 Subaru WRX TR (Weekend Warrior)
    1993 Ford F250 Diesel (Daily Work Commuter)
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #9455
    My WRX Mods

i took the ic out and spent a half hour with a toothpick. turned out great, very easy
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Infinity

Try a variety of tools; as mentioned fin combs, a small flat head, tweezers, toothpics etc... The fins on the 06/07 IC are very, very fragile, but if you take your time you can get most/all of them straight. Just take your time with ones that are folded over, they're easy to tear.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'