2009 WRX - Turbo is done

This is a discussion on 2009 WRX - Turbo is done within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'll start by saying I don't know a ton about my turbo engine and the problems it could warrant. Was ...

2009 WRX - Turbo is done

I'll start by saying I don't know a ton about my turbo engine and the problems it could warrant. Was on my way to work today and lost all boost. Turbo was making a little higher than usual winding sound, but I could also hear air flow which sounded like it was not making it into the engine. I initially thought it was a leak or an issue with the waste gate. Took it in to the dealership and got a call an hour later saying the turbo is done. They didn't elaborate, but at least I get a new one for free. I just hadn't heard of many turbos failing at 25k miles. Little disappointed as I never had an issue with an 04 wrx I had for 5 years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I replaced one on an 2009 WRX a few months back. same issue. under WOT full boost the turbo would make a very weird air suction noise, replaced the turbo under warranty at around 28k miles and it was as good as new. the customer also got a free release bearing under warranty, it was a good job, I got it done in a day and it paid almost 8 hours between diag. turbo replacement and throwout bearing replacement.

Update - Got another call from the dealership and when they were replacing the turbo found it was actually a crack in the hose coming off the intercooler.

Good thing it was under warranty

Another update - Got the car back and noticed my boost was fluctuating around 4-4.5k RPM. Took it back to the dealer, they checked out all of the lines, and then called a subaru tech line to see what exactly it is. Guess the car will automatically start limiting boost at the higher RPMs so it doesn't kill itself. Hadn't felt it before I had the tear in the line coming off the intercooler. Anyways, took the opportunity to install an SPT boost gauge. Just got it back and am boosting up around 14 psi max so seems OK.

Yeah the logic in the ECU is limited, which is why I suppose a tune is such a beneficial modification. Unfortunately you cant just stick a manual boost controller on these things and crank the boost, the ECM will do everything in its power to correct the extra pressure. Those SPT boost gauges are nice Ive installed a few on the newer WRX's...