radiator fan

This is a discussion on radiator fan within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; my passinger siderad fan is not coming on. at what temp is it supposed to kick on....

radiator fan

my passinger siderad fan is not coming on. at what temp is it supposed to kick on.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    On turbo models there is a "main" and a "sub" fan as per the factory manual. On a US or continental EU model, the passenger side fan is the "sub" fan. The ECU controls the fans depending on coolant temp, vehicle speed, and air temp, plus it accounts for A/C (or defroster) operation.

When speed is below 20 kph and the A/C (or defroster) is OFF, both fans are OFF if the coolant is below 90C; when the A/C is ON, both fans are ON and their speed depends on the air intake temperature (low speed when the air intake temp is below 75C).

When speed is below 70 kph and the A/C (or defroster) is OFF, both fans are OFF if the coolant is below 90C; both are ON at high speed otherwise.

When the speed is below 105 kph and the A/C (or defroster) is OFF, all fans are OFF if coolant temp is below 96C; otherwise they are on low speed for temps below 96C and high speed for coolant temps above that.

At speeds higher than 105 kph everything is OFF if coolant is below 90C; everything stays OFF except if the A/C (or defroster) is ON and coolant temp is between 90C and 95C. In that case, the main fan is on low speed only. However if coolant temps exceed 95C both fans come on at high speed.

In any case, a fan fault should generate a CEL. Do you have a CEL? Does the car overheat?
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-14-2011 at 07:20 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.