Rod knock on my 02 bugeye

This is a discussion on Rod knock on my 02 bugeye within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just got alot of engine work done. Turbo inlet tube, up pipe, tgv delete, new water pump, pulleys and belts, ...

Rod knock on my 02 bugeye

Just got alot of engine work done. Turbo inlet tube, up pipe, tgv delete, new water pump, pulleys and belts, fuel pump, cobb accessport and a custom tune. Now after all this is done me and my buddy realize there is a rod knock and im going to need a new engine block. Does anyone have an estimate on what this will cost with labor and if its even worth doing????

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Blocks can be had for cheap for an OEM one from an online vendor 2-2.5k; labour varies a ton.

It will be much cheaper if you don't drive the car until then however, then you won't risk more damage: heads, turbo, etc...
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    Are you sure it's rod knock? You're in a cold climate and piston slap, especially when cold started, is not abnormal.

If it is rod knock, first figure out what went wrong before investing. Short blocks are available below $2K depending on shipping. Labour varies regionally.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

^ good point, aside from piston slap there are other things that can mimic the sounds of rod knock; bad timing belt bits, cracked coil pack, I'm sure there are others.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

well everything has just been serviced the only other thing i could think of is its coming from the trans maybe .....would piston slap possibly cause a blown engine in the near future?

it is a clicking noise ....VERY noticable around 3 thousand rpm

When you replaced your timing belt, did you chalk the pulleys to make sure nothing slipped?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257