Catalytic Converter

This is a discussion on Catalytic Converter within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I need a new Catalytic Converter for my 03' WRX Wagon, and I was trying to get some information ...

Catalytic Converter

So I need a new Catalytic Converter for my 03' WRX Wagon, and I was trying to get some information about doing it myself.

Would it be fairly easy to replace it myself? Would it hurt my car not to replace it for a little while? What is a fair price to pay for one? And what is a fair price if I have a Body Shop do it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Why do you need a new cat, and which one? The car has three cats. What are you trying to fix?

Any one of them is feasible DIY but it's unclear you actually need to do this.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

the cat(s) bolt on and off. youll need a socket wrench and a regular wrench to get the nut and bolt off.

So pretty easy to do as long as I get the right one

I Support ClubWRX
    Again, there are three cats. One is an absolute nightmare, the other two easy. Why do you have to replace a cat, and which one is it?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I had it in for an inspection, but the CEL was on and the code came back as the Catalytic Converter...what should I do in order to find out the real problem?

I Support ClubWRX
    Find the real CEL code (a P followed by a number) and post it here and/or research that actual code. When you post the code, also post any and all modifications done to the car.

ok ill call the place now and get it

P0340 and it is a completely stock car, 5 sp manual 2003 early model year edition 2.0 liter engine

I Support ClubWRX
    That code does not involve the catalytic converter. It involves the cam angle sensor (CAS).

The sensor is located on the front of the motor, on what is the driver's side in the USA, near the intake cam sprocket I believe.

My approach would be to disconnect then reconnect the wiring, clean the sensor, replace the sensor, and finally give up and have a mechanic look at it. I would do those things in that order and stop when the problem is fixed. I hope this helps.