A/C line bolt spec?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on A/C line bolt spec? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone know the torque spec for the bolts fastening the high side A/C line? Thanks! EDIT: I asked before I'm ...

I Support ClubWRX

A/C line bolt spec?

Anyone know the torque spec for the bolts fastening the high side A/C line?
    Thanks!

EDIT: I asked before I'm sure. I can't find the spec and am not skilled enough to go by "tight enough." Thanks again.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-06-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Answering my own question:

No spec to be found. I used the ratchet with the shortest handle I had, so as to not be able to over-torque and strip the threads. It's still possible if you have a strong grip but the small ratchet makes it "safer."

The bolts are 12mm.

Finding the right O-rings is challenging. I used some that were a bit larger, and ended up having to lightly tap in the hose ends to get them onto the fittings. I greased the O-rings before installing the hose onto the fittings.

I went as tight as I dared, then had a friend with the proper kit pull a vacuum on the system. After we were sure it was all OK, we re-filled. The volume of refrigerant necessary is on a sticker on the car itself. Pull a vacuum, it is needed because the system has been exposed to atmosphere. We used a scale upon which we placed the canister with R134a, and so we could measure the weight of the refrigerant as it was leaving the canister and entering the car -- the canister got lighter so we knew when to stop.

So far, so good.

When we were done, at roughly 25C ambient temp my low side pressure was around 20 PSI, my high side pressure around 220 PSI.

A/C was always a mystery to me and I hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 03-14-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.