Heat Shield Bracket troubles
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Heat Shield Bracket troubles within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I bought my in 2003 WRX a year ago used and without a heatshield, so I went online and ...

Heat Shield Bracket troubles

So I bought my in 2003 WRX a year ago used and without a heatshield, so I went online and purchased a stock used one to put on my car but quickly realized I had neither the hardware nor the bracket needed to install it onto my car. Today I went up to the dealer and was told that the bracket is not a separate piece by itself, but is spot welded to the downpipe and that I must buy to whole section in order to get this one part. What I want to know is, is there anywhere else I can purchase this part with the hardware? Subaru sounded confident that it needed to be from them but I've seen pictures that show that bracket BOLTED on with the turbo/downpipe bolts, which makes me wonder why it is welded in the first place. So does anybody have any insight on this? I've checked online and seen that it's sold as a separate part, but wasn't sure where to get any of the nuts and bolts for it. Thanks to anybody who can lend a hand
    A.K.A. The Stig

"Some say, if he caught fire he would burn for 1000 days, and that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nurburgring....all we know is, he's called The Stig" - Top Gear

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

which bracket are you talking about? the one on the top is separate and can be unbolted, I have replaced many of them... which bolts are you talking about the ones that bolt the downpipe to the turbo or the ones that bolt the heat shield to the bracket? either way you should be able to obtain both of them at sears or another auto parts store...

Yeah, the bracket that looks completely separate and that subaru told me isn't, the one that is connected by the bolts used to connect the turbo and downpipe....And I need all 7 or 8 bolts that are used to bolt the heatshield onto the car. I just don't know what kind of bolts they are or I would go get them.
    A.K.A. The Stig

"Some say, if he caught fire he would burn for 1000 days, and that the outline of his left nipple is exactly the same shape as the Nurburgring....all we know is, he's called The Stig" - Top Gear

Supporting Member yamaha_rider619's Avatar
    colorado is home, Kansas is the temporary home
    I Support ClubWRX
    This is the part number to the bracket 44021AA012. Subaru OEM Heat Shield Bracket

Bolt size for the heat shield take a 10mm socket if that helps.

And my advice would be to cut the oem heat shield so you only use the top 3 bolts, or get a spt/cobb heat shield. The oem ones have a lot of bolts which seem un-necessary unless you want a complete stock look.
    Last edited by yamaha_rider619; 03-04-2011 at 05:00 PM.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

Ok cool, that really really helps. And i'm just trying to get it back to where its close enough to stock that I can start putting my own upgrades on it since I bought it "stock" used and was missing some stuff, so the cutting is a good idea, I really appreciate it.
    A.K.A. The Stig

I Support ClubWRX
    No problem, I cut mine. It also helps with getting an aftermarket downpipe, cause when you do that, you either need to cut it or buy an aftermarket shield.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

I Support ClubWRX
    Found this today when looking for parts for me: Subaru Turbo Heat Shield Bracket

It has the bolts and bracket
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

oh well, I already bought it from another site, and shipping on that one you linked is like 17 dollars for ground XD I don't see why they charge so damn much, kinda rediculous
    A.K.A. The Stig

I Support ClubWRX
    They are sometimes cheaper for parts, but like every other site, they have their pros and their cons.
    Josh
    2003 Subaru Wrx Vf39'd
    Bugeye mafia #300

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.