P0302 misfire in cylinder 2. HELP PLEASE

This is a discussion on P0302 misfire in cylinder 2. HELP PLEASE within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My 2005 subaru wrx sti is reading a misfire in cylinder 2. a P0302 code. My car is completly stock ...

Red face P0302 misfire in cylinder 2. HELP PLEASE

My 2005 subaru wrx sti is reading a misfire in cylinder 2. a P0302 code.
    My car is completly stock except for a cobb intake. My car putters a little bit every couple seconds or so. the CEL comes on every week once i clear it. i moved all the spark plugs around n coilpacks the same code stays at cylinder 2.

after that i took all the plugs out an ran a compression test my compression was 120 in all the cylinders wich seemd low to me but my friend said turbod cars compressions are a lower then normal.

then after that was fine we put oil in the cylinder to see if it had a a broken piston ring a still had good compression so im not sure where to go from here..

ANY HELP PLEASE!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

donkey

i read that an sent you a private message

Please help

I've been dealing a misfire issue ever since november... it turned out to be a scored cylinder wall and damaged piston... I went through pretty much everything on donkey's list and finally broke down and took it in... have a leak down test done to see if it isn't sealing somewhere...
    I checked the following:
    spark plugs
    coil packs
    ground connections to the coil packs
    cleaned the mass airflow sensor
    compression test
    checked for vacuum leaks
    ETC...
    the compression should be from 143-170 and be within 10% of eachother... good luck man and hope for the best...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

I Support ClubWRX
    howd you damage a piston?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

The previous owner either had a CAI or a MBC W/O a tune and ran it lean for 50K miles
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)

How much did that cost you? im hopeing its a valve or needs new piston rings but im not sure at all..

Get a leakdown test done first.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I installed a new shortblock, rebuild/resurfaced the heads and valvetrain, new timing belt kit, and new clutch kit for $3,200 through a local subaru shop here in my area... the dealer wanted over $5K just to rebuild the engine, so I took it elsewhere...
    take it to a shop to have a leakdown and compression tests done to see what your looking at, believe me it was ALOT easier to pinpoint it and if I hadn't I wouldn't have found out what was wrong...
    if it is the piston rings, you might as well just do a complete overhaul on the engine...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801

Do you think it could just be the valve springs? my car numers were showing up at 120 for all cylinders. but its still only a misfire in #2 .i dont have that kind of money to fix my car:/ if the piston rings are done. that means i gotta do what!?

Quote Originally Posted by jaredh17 View Post
    Do you think it could just be the valve springs? my car numers were showing up at 120 for all cylinders. but its still only a misfire in #2 .i dont have that kind of money to fix my car:/ if the piston rings are done. that means i gotta do what!?
    well... If it were the valve springs not allowing the valves to close properly then there would be a big difference in the compression test results... What exactly were the numbers on all cylinders? I hear ya on the money aspect I didn't have it either, but had to pull money from where ever I could to get it (loan, tax return, family)... On your pistons there are more then 1 ring... You have the piston ring that holds the compression and you have the ringland, so you can have pretty good compression and still have a broken ringland causing a misfire... If this is the cause then your looking at a rebuild, so you can look into a used engine or call around and get quotes from shops in your area....
    But first and foremost you need to have a leakdown test done to see if there is an internal leak somewhere.... It should cost around $150 or so... good luck man...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801