Who makes a reliable car jack?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Who makes a reliable car jack? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bought a Michelin (Chinese) jack at Sams a few years ago. Used it 9 or 10 times on a light ...

Bought a Michelin (Chinese) jack at Sams a few years ago. Used it 9 or 10 times on a light car. Used car stands, so did not abuse it.

Pulled it out today and started to jack the car up and all the hydraulic oil shot out of it. What a mess.

When my dad died he had some USA bottle jacks from the 1950's. They didn't work, must have needed oil too. Wonder if I should have kept them and tried to get them fixed? Or is this a common problem with hydraulic jacks USA or Chinese?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I've had no problems with the one I bought from Harbor Freight:
    2 Ton Low Profile Floor Service Jack
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a 3000 lb. capacity US General (Harbor Freight) aluminum low profile floor jack that has worked very well for 2.5 + years. That model is no longer on their web site.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

It's hit or miss really, they all seem to break. When I buy another one I'd ensure that it's easily/cheaply re-buildable and/or has a kick ass warranty.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Every jack I've had has broken except my latest from Harbor Freight. I have the smaller of the two blue/silver lightweight aluminum racing jacks.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Wait you guys buy jacks from harbor freight? Aren't their stuff very cheaply made with low quality?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by armindk View Post
    Wait you guys buy jacks from harbor freight? Aren't their stuff very cheaply made with low quality?
    Depends on the item.

I use an old hand-me-down Sears jack. Heavy and huge but I can use the exercise. Reliable.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by armindk View Post
    A lot of it is and I would be very careful of what I bought from HF.

It seems like everyone in the the autocross group I run with uses the US General jacks. I asked around and they all said they worked well.

They are made in China like nearly everything else these days, but seem to be a good solid jack. Good luck buying any affordable jack that is not made in China.

SD_GR: I envy your hand-me-down.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes the Sears is quite a jack -- but I would buy a Harbor Freight for autox because the Sears is so much heavier than anything made of Al.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah Sears has good quality tools but they have higher prices as well. Usually if they have "Made in Germany" or "Made in USA" on them they are good!

I Support ClubWRX
    I heart my Brunnhoelzl

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.