Subaru wrx Compression test?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Subaru wrx Compression test? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, tomorrow I'm going to do a compression test on my stock 14k miles, 04'WRX. I would like to know ...

Subaru wrx Compression test?

Well, tomorrow I'm going to do a compression test on my stock 14k miles, 04'WRX. I would like to know what exactly are the compression reading in psi for a "good engine".

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

Keep in mind that it is important for the cylinders to be close in readings than have one or two off considerably from the others...Any reason for the compression test? Are you chasing a problem?

What's considered a good reading varies with mileage. A pretty much new motor should be 150-160 in all cylinders. Well-maintained lower mileage motors can still get these numbers. Motors at 100k will probably be closer to 130ish, but they can go higher or lower.

You should consider getting a leakdown test while you're at it too.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    Impreza Manuals | ken-gilbert.com

Keep in mind that it is important for the cylinders to be close in readings than have one or two off considerably from the others...Any reason for the compression test? Are you chasing a problem?
    I need a compression test because I have a misfire P0304, and before buying anything that is expensive I decided to go with the test. BTW should I do it with the car warm/cold??

Thanks, hopefully I get an answer before 11am (that is when I'm going to test it).

So you really only have only 14k miles on the car, and you have a misfire? Check the basics first, plugs, coil packs etc...I have had a few of these develop these codes after many many miles like around 120k 150k, and it turned out that they needed a valve adjustment. However with 14k miles it seems somewhat unlikely unless of course you beat the car like no other, or it was set to tight at the factory...

ooo sorry... typo. My car has 145k miles and earlier today I performed the compression test, well only on side (had to go deal with something very important) tomorrow I'll finish the rest.

So as of now the results of the car, cold engine:

135, 150,---,---

The first one probably did it wrong, since for the second one I actually counted down while for the first one I cranked it two times really quick. Was going to retry it again but something came up.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.