Bad Synchro ???? need help.

This is a discussion on Bad Synchro ???? need help. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, I'm starting to worry that my transmission is shot. Recently my friend, a mechanic with 10+ yrs experience; after ...

Bad Synchro ???? need help.

Well, I'm starting to worry that my transmission is shot. Recently my friend, a mechanic with 10+ yrs experience; after driving my stock 04' WRX around a few blocks he told me my synchros are bad, this is where I'm confused.

Unfortunately he is what you call a big hater, always trying to put me down whenever I get something new, from a my Macbook pro to my watch always trying to find something wrong with it. That is why I'm assuming that he might just say that because of the way he is to me. Basically long story short, I would like to know what are some signs of a bad synchro/transmission.

Thanks everyone in advance for the help.
    Pic to soon to come ...... 19 yrs old. Drive a Subbie( Im a newbie). 3rd Year Of college going to third.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Does the car shift smoothely?

What kind of watch?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Does the trans pop out of gear? What gives you the idea that you have a problem with the transmission? How many miles are on the trans?

Does it cruntch or grind as your shifting? You friend doesn't sound like a good one if he's always putting you down...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

my friend is a cool guy when he is not "hating". Well I never noticed any grind or crunch while shifting. But the only time I experienced that was when I first learned how to drive manual, which I assume its because I put it into first really hard.

Now that you guys mention it, later today I'll drive around focusing on the transmission to see if there is any weird noise.
    Pic to soon to come ...... 19 yrs old. Drive a Subbie( Im a newbie). 3rd Year Of college going to third.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm willing to bet he's referring to the fact that you have to rev-match to get the car into first gear when moving. Don't worry, it's normal. Subaru didn't add the dual-ring synchros on 1st until 2005. If your car shifts smoothly, doesn't grind, and you're still able to get the car into gear, your transmission is still doing its job
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/