ABS, Traction Control, and Hill-Start lights lit up

This is a discussion on ABS, Traction Control, and Hill-Start lights lit up within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2009 WRX with 46,500 miles, running winter tires on the stock rims and have the original brake ...

ABS, Traction Control, and Hill-Start lights lit up

I have a 2009 WRX with 46,500 miles, running winter tires on the stock rims and have the original brake pads and rotors still installed. The only thing that has been changed is the usual oil, filter, etc.

A few weeks ago I noticed that my ABS, traction control, and hill-start assist lights lit up when I applied the brakes after first starting my car. It wasn't every time, for instance I could drive a few miles using the brakes now and then without any lights, but then it eventually came on after letting off the brakes. When the lights come on ABS, traction control, and hill-start assist are disabled (obviously), but they work fine until the warning lights come on. I first noticed it after one of the many snowstorms we have had this winter, I was thinking it may just be snow build up near one of the sensors that is throwing something off, but it's remained on even after the snow has cleared and after a car wash.

I did notice a slight squeak when I first apply the brakes initially, but after driving for a bit there aren't any squeaks. So I'm wondering if the brake pads are wearing and that's whats causing the warning lights, or if it's something with one of the speed sensors that may have gotten damaged during the storm. Any thoughts before I bring it to the dealer?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

look in the owners manual to see if there is anything about when all 3 of those lights come on at the same time.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

did you ever find a answer to this my 11 does the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    did you ever find a answer to this my 11 does the same thing
    From NASIOC: "Another perspective here, but keep in mind this happened to me previous to any modification work on my '09 WRX, so your situation may be related to the reflash as UK above me stated. I had this happen repeatedly and found posts about faulty brake light switches causing those lights to illuminate with no CEL. They would go away when I restarted the vehicle but generally show up after a couple of brake pumps. Personally, my issue went away after I had to crush the brakes to not hit a stray dog crossing a street before I had a chance to replace the part (may or not be related). It's a cheap and easy swap though. I believe another option was a steering sensor or something? I googled "VDC, ABS, and Incline Assist lights WRX" or something similar and that was the general consensus. Hope this helps."

i had the brake light switch replaced last week and today it just happened twice again

I just posted to a similar thread at Warning Lights. I'm having the same problem on my 2011 WRX. I added some pictures of my brake light sensor. It's pretty easy to adjust, if that's the only problem. Replacement shouldn't be too difficult either. I'm going to try the adjustment out for a few days and see what happens.

I had the brake light sensor replaced and that didn't fix it I may try and adjust it and see if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoobyDoo1 View Post
    I just posted to a similar thread at Warning Lights. I'm having the same problem on my 2011 WRX. I added some pictures of my brake light sensor. It's pretty easy to adjust, if that's the only problem. Replacement shouldn't be too difficult either. I'm going to try the adjustment out for a few days and see what happens.
    Thanks for the info so