clutch pedal tension 2011
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on clutch pedal tension 2011 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've got a 2011 WRX with 5500 miles on it. Traded in a 2009 and bought the 2011 finally feeling ...

clutch pedal tension 2011

I've got a 2011 WRX with 5500 miles on it. Traded in a 2009 and bought the 2011 finally feeling happy that Subaru "lightened" up the clutch tension and it felt softer but after 4000 miles and a cold winter (19-30 deg F) the clutch has started to feel as if it has stiffened up and the tension much stronger than before.

Went to a dealer and checked out a '11 STI and another '11 WRX and found the clutch was easier and smoother to push down! I could practially press down the clutch with a few fingers versus using my whole arm to crank down the pedal!

Anyone else notice their clutch pedal tension starting to stiffen harder than the first time rolling off the dealer lot (stiffening clutch pedal tension)?
    Any suggestions on a fix?
    Would bleeding the clutch fluid and toping off help?

(Has anyone heard Subaru come forward regarding issues with the clutch pedal, such that clicking that I've heard from other 2011 owners?)
    Last edited by SmokescreenWRKS; 02-28-2011 at 08:20 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

does it get any better once the car is completely warmed up and all the fluids are at operating temp? its been pretty cold where i live, like high 30's early in the morning, and my clutch feels a little bit harder, but as everything warms up, it feels more normal. with a 2011, this is something you may want to get looked at by a dealer.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

it doesn't really get any better once the car warms up. It does feel a little bit softer but that could only be becasue I've driven a few miles and got use to it since I've started it up.

Does your clutch tension still feel as "light" as when you first rolled off the lot?
    Does the clutch pedal feel easy enough to press down using only your fingers rather than the palm of your hand and whole arm?

Thanks for the help.

The tension in mine is exactly the same as when I test drove the car.

Clutch tension should get stiffer in cold weather, though ease up when the car warms up.

If yours is truly that much stiffer, even when warm, then there has to be a cause somewhere in the car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Thanks for the suggestion.
    One thing I did notice the clutch is harder with the engine off but on the other hand a new 2011 WRX on a "cold" dealer lot with 15 miles on it is still nice and soft. I can push the pedal down with just three fingers. (oh and no clicking)

Could this just be normal wear? Or does anyone think it has something to do with the hydaulic clutch assist?

hydraulic clutch

Anyone think this stiffer tension on the clutch may be related to the cold weather effect on the hydraulic clutch?

Has anyone found any positive effects to bleeding the clutch fluid and releasing any air build up?

Thanks,

hydraulic clutch

Anyone think this stiffer tension on the clutch may be related to the cold weather effect on the hydraulic clutch? Or air bubbles built up in the lines?

Has anyone found any positive effects (reducing clutch stiffness) to bleeding the clutch fluid and releasing any air build up?

Thanks,

I live in Pittsburgh and have the exact same problem on my 2011. My clutch feels heavier and almost sluggish when it travels upward. The funny thing is that it has been warmer recently. It doesn't seem to matter though whether I am in cold or warm conditions. It has made driving it very annoying. Its as though I have lost all feel for it. If you find anything out please post.

Took it in to the dealer and they think I'm crazy. Basically normal clutch tension and nothing wrong with the car.

It's gotten warmer down here in MD had a few 67deg F-70deg F weather and the clutch does feel a bit softer but only when the car is on.
    When the car turned off puming on the clutch is just brutal but there's certianly a difference.

I guess it's better than nothing. It's possible this past winter may have just put our cars (or clutches) through the ringer. It wasn't as cold as last 2 years with my 09 but still pretty brutal.

Anyone in the northeast states or cold weather states feeling any early degredation in their clutch assist, master cylinder, or tension?

Thanks,

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I got mine early March and haven't had it through the colder months of winter, so hopefully when next winter rolls around if there is an issue with the vehicles, since this is the second or third thread I've seen with this type of issue, has been addressed... I've made it a habit as of late to really warm the car up before I roll away just to make sure all the fluids have warmed some.
    My Build | Facebook | I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.