New DP and now a CEL???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on New DP and now a CEL??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I installed a Cobb DP this weekend mated to my OEM catback, I'll share that crazy story a ...

New DP and now a CEL???

Hey guys I installed a Cobb DP this weekend mated to my OEM catback, I'll share that crazy story a little later. Anyway I got a CEL this morning on the way to work. Used my AP to read the code, P0420 catalyst sytem efficiency below threshold (bank 1). I'm guessing this because of the OEM CB? I talked to Cobb before doing this and they said I'd fine to do it but I really did need a CB to go with the DP in order to use thier stage 2 tune. I did clear the code and it didn't come back after another 15 minutes of driving. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I always used to throw the P0420 on my Impreza. It was because the O2 sensor wasn't getting hot enough inside the exhaust. The O2 sensor in your down pipe needs to be cranked in there pretty hard. Make sure it's tight, and not leaking around the sensor. I had a friend that forgot to tighten his O2 in the DP down after his turbo back install, and he threw the same code.

Make sure the DP isn't leaking anywhere, and check both O2 sensors. See if one is clogged up/dirty/broken. It could be wiring, it could be a few things. You should be just fine with the stock CB, and Cobb DP. Cobb wasn't lyin when they said it should be fine. But get a CB just to make sure

I just got off the phone with a Cobb tech, he said reflash ecu to stage 2 (not a realtime flash) and that should fix the problem. Something about being at stage 1 and then flashing to in realtime to stage 2 might have been the problem.

I know my O2 sensor is good and tight (beyond the recommended 26lb/ft). The car only has 1700 miles on it so I'd think the other sensor would be fine and the one in the DP looked good. I'm pretty sure I don't have any leaks. What would be the best way to completely make sure I don't have small leak somewhere?

Definitely getting a CB, trying to decide which one is driving me nuts.

Thanks for help.
    2011 WRX DGM hatch Cobb DP, Inv. Q300 CB, AEM intake, DW 1000cc's, DW 300 lph pump, AP w/ custom E85 tune, STS w/bushing, 3M clear bra, and tint for now...

I Support ClubWRX
    EDIT: Question answered
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Glad you got your question answered. A lot of real time maps don't play well with a lot of base maps; this is something that I've yet to see referred to in any of the literature that comes with the AP.

I'm able to run a 94 real time map over my 91 map only because both are custom and are built such that they play well together, otherwise it would only create problems, as you discovered.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Yeah I think that's what the tech was referring to, you just said better than he did!

I finally found a local tuner (I'm in the St.louis area) so I don't have to trek up to Chicago to get a custom tune. I'm hoping to get the tune this weekend, if I can decide which CBE to go with, and if I can get on the car before Saturday. Turns out he's the first instructor I had when I started doing the track stuff, small world.

Quote Originally Posted by Stlgrndskeeper View Post
    if I can decide which CBE to go with
    you have a lot to choose from. the 2011 hatch will be compatible with any exhaust that fits on a 2008+ STI! i am planning to buy the invidia q300 for my 2010 hatch. great combo of low end boxer sound, very little raspiness and low drone. and its significantly cheaper than some of the catbacks from other vendors.

Invidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust Hatchback Subaru STI 2008-2011 / Hatchback WRX 2011 at RallySportDirect.com
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    you have a lot to choose from. the 2011 hatch will be compatible with any exhaust that fits on a 2008+ STI! i am planning to buy the invidia q300 for my 2010 hatch. great combo of low end boxer sound, very little raspiness and low drone. and its significantly cheaper than some of the catbacks from other vendors.

Invidia Q300 Cat Back Exhaust Hatchback Subaru STI 2008-2011 / Hatchback WRX 2011 at RallySportDirect.com
    I've narrowed it down to the Q300 and the Cobb. I did consider N1 but it might be too loud in car for my 2 year old. I like the deeper sound of the Cobb but paying another $400 for deeper sound is hard to justify. Will their be any issues bolting the Cobb 2.5" tapered end to the 3' Q300 mid though?

Quote Originally Posted by Stlgrndskeeper View Post
    I've narrowed it down to the Q300 and the Cobb. I did consider N1 but it might be too loud in car for my 2 year old. I like the deeper sound of the Cobb but paying another $400 for deeper sound is hard to justify. Will their be any issues bolting the Cobb 2.5" tapered end to the 3' Q300 mid though?
    N1 = annoying and way too loud.

there should be an adapter available for the fitment. this one is the reverse of what you need. CNT Racing 3" Downpipe to Factory Cat-Back Exhaust Adapter im sure they make them. i would think that someone around here has the same setup, cobb to q300. i guess if it doesnt work you can just get an axleback and keep your stock midpipe.

both the cobb and the perrin catbacks are soooooo expensive. i just wouldnt be able to justify that, even considering all the catbacks for the 2010 hatch are way cheaper than the 2011 hatches. quad exhaust = $$$
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

Go with the Cobb for the extra money if it's a car you're going to have for a while. Well worth the extra dough.

Or get a Nameless Performance exhaust like I did and save yourself lots of dough. No mufflers but not too loud and it sounds amazing. I'm 33 with 2 little kids that ride around in the car with me so I'm not a ricer that went for a muffler delete just to get sound. I'm very impressed with the exhaust. Not that loud unless you get on it.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Or get a Nameless Performance exhaust like I did and save yourself lots of dough. No mufflers but not too loud and it sounds amazing. I'm 33 with 2 little kids that ride around in the car with me so I'm not a ricer that went for a muffler delete just to get sound. I'm very impressed with the exhaust. Not that loud unless you get on it.
    That's good news, I've been waiting to see if you liked the Nameless system or not. The savings would leave me enough for an intake. I emailed Jason at Nameless, he said they should have a system available for the 5 door this week, so maybe I'll wait.

N1 = annoying and way too loud.

there should be an adapter available for the fitment. this one is the reverse of what you need. CNT Racing 3" Downpipe to Factory Cat-Back Exhaust Adapter im sure they make them. i would think that someone around here has the same setup, cobb to q300. i guess if it doesnt work you can just get an axleback and keep your stock midpipe.

both the cobb and the perrin catbacks are soooooo expensive. i just wouldnt be able to justify that, even considering all the catbacks for the 2010 hatch are way cheaper than the 2011 hatches. quad exhaust = $$$
    Yeah the N1's out.

I'll keep looking for an adapter encase I go that route. The axlebacks not a bad idea either. The OEM mid shouldn't restrict things enough make a noticiable difference should it?

I certainly like the idea of saving some money for some other goodies.

the difference would so minimal i dont think it would really matter. the main restriction in the exhaust system is the DP, and you have already taken care of that. the perrin axlebacks sound great and are not *that* expensive. Teflon just bought an axleback for his STI from nameless performance. i dont think they have an axleback for the 11+ hatch yet, but thats another option.
    Stink-eye Mob #814004

Teflon just bought an axleback for his STI from nameless performance. i dont think they have an axleback for the 11+ hatch yet, but thats another option.
    Yeah I talked to Nameless on Friday and they said it should be out this week for the 5 door.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Go with the Cobb for the extra money if it's a car you're going to have for a while. Well worth the extra dough.

Not too loud compared to what out of curiosity? I'm getting a 2011 WRX this week and will at least be looking into an axleback prior to my warranty expiring. Eventually I'll end up with a full TBE and tune so I guess I'm looking ahead. My 04 STi currently has a TXS stealthback with Prodrive muffler and I think that's right about the sound level I can tolerate. I wonder how loud the Nameless stuff will get once the full TBE is completed.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.