Please help me figure this out, im going crazy
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Please help me figure this out, im going crazy within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i just swapped my crappy custom TBE for a Invidia V2 downpipe (heatwrapped) and Borla Hush Catback. After the ...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar

Please help me figure this out, im going crazy

So i just swapped my crappy custom TBE for a Invidia V2 downpipe (heatwrapped) and Borla Hush Catback. After the install I have a strange rattle. It sounds like its coming from the downpipe/turbo area. It only occurs when I'm driving in any gear except 1st. I can hear it most at lower RPM's and it increases as the RPM's increase when in gear. However if i put it in neutral at the same speed and rev there is no noise. There is no noise when the car is parked and it seems to go away (or is drowned out) at higher rpms. The best way i can describe the sound is a very fast rattle or tapping from that side of the car/motor. I checked my tranny dipstick and it isnt hitting anything, i dont have the stock heat shield and i cant find anything my SPT is hitting. The dowpipe does come very close to the firewall but i wouldnt think it would rattle? Any other ideas to check before i lose my mind?
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I find my Invidia DP makes the wastegate flutter very audible in winter, if temps are -10C (~15F) or lower. Could also double check the down pipe bracket below the trans and check clearance there.

Edit: new DP gasket used?
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

After some reading i think it is the bracket. Going to check that tonight. Anyone had to grind off a part of that before? Any more detailed instructions/diagram or just wing it? And yes i used all new high quality gaskets and torqued everything twice.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Ironic, I was searching the intarwebz for other people experiencing what I'm experiencing now, and what pops up? A thread I had already posted in. Did you sort out your issue?

The relavent info:
    Invidia downpipe (catted)
    AVO CBE
    Kartboy standard length hangers

Always had an annoying high frequency rattle under high load, low rpm, e.g. starting a road pull for a split second. It didn't scream exhaust rattle; but I knew it was just a garden variety rattle. After installing my trans x-member bushings and trans mount, the rattle became more pronounced and started to sound more like an exhaust rattle; the DP bracket on the trans is now able to transfer this vibration more effectively.

Funny thing, I've checked, and rechecked my exhaust clearance, and the spot that has close to zero clearance "camoflages" itself since there's plenty of clearance before and after this very short section. The AVO has two resonators, the first resonator, almost directly below the drivers seat, has 1.46 mm clearance. This is over a very, very short section so it was hard to see. I only discovered it after using feeler gauges since my eyes were starting to go blurry staring at the mid pipe.

This pic shows exactly where mine was contacting: Invidia Exhaust Hitting
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

Thanks for the bump with your answer. For future search references I will tell what happened with mine. The midpipe was actually rubbing on the drive shaft It was barely touching but enough to rub the dirt and grime off. After installing Kartboy extended length exhaust hangers I have zero rattle and all is good.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.