Ticking Noise?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Ticking Noise? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I have what sounds like an exhaust leak coming from the right side of my car. My car ...

Ticking Noise?

Hey guys, I have what sounds like an exhaust leak coming from the right side of my car. My car makes a faint ticking sound while I'm building just a few pounds of boost, but when I give it full throttle, the noise is nowhere to be found. I was thinking it might be a bad gasket from the turbo to the down pipe?

It only happens under load, not during any time off-throttle, so it's not flutter dump or any of that, but I can't exactly hang out of my car while driving to hear it. Anybody have any suggestions? I hope it's nothing detrimental to my WRX!

Only mods are a Cobb down pipe (catted), and an GReddy Evo 2 exhaust, with a Cobb intake and an Accessport. Thanks!

Edit: I can also hear it when I'm on the highway going about 75mph, and I'm not building any boost, but I'm in low vacuum (almost boost).
    Last edited by Junior2552; 02-26-2011 at 10:12 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Can you hear it at idle?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Nope. It doesn't sound like anything mechanical. It sounds like flutter dump, but on throttle instead of off. It's just a really slight tick that sounds like it's coming from my glove box..aka where the turbo is. ( I hide it in my glove box..).

It might just be the way the air travels through the intake, and I can hear it. It's only at very low boost, and I'm not getting any spikes or anything so I'm assuming nothing is leaking. Any suggestions or am I just overthinking a very small sound haha.

I'm hearing this in my STi, but only on the highway cruising in vaccuum and slightly on the throttle. It's definitely throttle dependent. I don't think anything's seriously wrong but I'm relatively new to turbo cars and want to know if there's something up with my turbo, as it's definitely sounds like it's coming from the glove box, as the OP claims. Thanks for any info you have for us!!
    '91 CRX Si
    '05 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by SiSTi View Post
    I'm hearing this in my STi, but only on the highway cruising in vaccuum and slightly on the throttle. It's definitely throttle dependent. I don't think anything's seriously wrong but I'm relatively new to turbo cars and want to know if there's something up with my turbo, as it's definitely sounds like it's coming from the glove box, as the OP claims. Thanks for any info you have for us!!
    I've had a few guys tell me it's just a boost solenoid tick. I've heard it on a friend's WRX as well. It doesn't effect performance at all does it?

I've had a few guys tell me it's just a boost solenoid tick. I've heard it on a friend's WRX as well. It doesn't effect performance at all does it?
    Nope, doesn't seem to affect spool speed or boost pressure at all...performance is unaffected afaic. I only hear it when on the highway or cruising in 5th/6th due to lower RPM and vaccuum. I've only had the car for about 6 months, so maybe it's one of those noises I never noticed until now...these cars make lots of noises so I'm not too worried about it but I'd at least like to know what it is. Oh I have a Cobb DP and TBE and Accessport, everything else is stock

Thanks for your input, I'll check into the boost solenoid possibilities..
    Last edited by SiSTi; 03-08-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    '91 CRX Si
    '05 WRX STi

did anyone find a cure for this tick, as not the boost solenoid on mine.

You know its funny you guys brought this up. I noticed this today on my 02, and I have an aftermarket GS EBCS plus exhaust and KN Typhoon CAI. Seemed to clear up after a mile or so but it was a strange enough tick that I noticed it and it kinda scared me into thinking there was an issue with the turbo. But, it cleared itself up and it left me wondering when will it happen again? It did, in fact, back my boost down to about 2 lbs shy of where it normally lands under full load in 3rd gear...therein lies my concern.

It only happened when the car had been sitting for an hour or so while I was at the gym. I probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise, but there was a small break in traffic and I had to f***ing go. It's certainly a strange phenomenon, and any further details on the issue and how to go about fixing it would be a blessing!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.