clutch issue

This is a discussion on clutch issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I guess it would be a noob question, when the car is off and im just sitting playing with shifter ...

clutch issue

I guess it would be a noob question, when the car is off and im just sitting playing with shifter should it be able to go in all the gears without pushing in the clutch? Im wondering why im able to do that and also almost all the gears allow it except sometimes 4th gear, which then tranlates to when i am driving 4th is a little tricky to get into. Thanks for any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's normal. Since none of the shafts inside of the transmission are moving when the car is off, it is a simple matter of gears being lined up properly to slip into place.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

There is probably no relationship between getting into 4th when off versus driving. However, it could point to a syncro being worn.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Wow, I would hope the syncro is not worn, brand new 2011, barely 400 miles on it. Thanks for the input...