Cool Down???

This is a discussion on Cool Down??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm curious about the cool down for our cars. I know if you have a turbo charged car you should ...

Cool Down???

I'm curious about the cool down for our cars. I know if you have a turbo charged car you should let it cool down a bit before shutting it off but I didn't notice anything about it in the manual.

Are you supposed to for the 2008 WRX? If so what is the proper amount of time?

I usually let it cool down for a few minutes if I have been driving it rough but other than that Ill just kill it when I park up.

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A cool down isn't necessary. Our turbos are water cooled, so that pretty much eliminates the need for a cool down period. Of course I wouldn't flog the hell out of it then just shut it off, but if you've been driving like a sane individual you can just shut it down no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    A cool down isn't necessary. Our turbos are water cooled, so that pretty much eliminates the need for a cool down period. Of course I wouldn't flog the hell out of it then just shut it off, but if you've been driving like a sane individual you can just shut it down no worries.
    Yepp. If you drive hard, then let your car sit for 3 or 4 minutes, otherwise you can shut it off as you would any car...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Nebuka View Post
    Yepp. If you drive hard, then let your car sit for 3 or 4 minutes
    That is somewhat excessive. A minute at most, or a short cool down drive.

It's not just the turbo imo. If I've been on the highway at 65 - 75 mph and immediately arrive at my destination I think it is best to do a < 1 minute idle or the short cool down drive I described above. A running engine itself should brought down to lower speeds and load to to equalize temperatures.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics