2011 WRX TPMS Sensors going off in the cold/snow?

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX TPMS Sensors going off in the cold/snow? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys - I just got back from a 250 mile drive from British Columbia and it was snowing for ...

2011 WRX TPMS Sensors going off in the cold/snow?

Hi guys - I just got back from a 250 mile drive from British Columbia and it was snowing for over half of the drive. I noticed my TPMS sensor went off early as soon as I hit heavy snow on the highway, and hasn't reset since. Temperatures were around 21 this AM with light snow in Seattle. Tire pressure seems to be fine on my 17" Conti DWS Extreme Contacts. So my question is... is the TPMS sensor going off typical behavior in cold weather/snow driving situations?
    2011 SWP WRX Premium 5-door!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    if it's really cold... your tire pressure will drop, and the tpms will go off. Instead of "seeming fine" you should actually take the pressure. Tire pressure gauges are cheap.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Thanks.. I am going check pressure today after work to make sure. Just wanted to see if this was a known issue or not with the sensors. I've driven in snow/colder temps with no problems, but it was not for as long of a period.

I don't think that's typical. I haven't had any problems with mine in the cold. I'd check your tire pressures like Kevin said. They might just be a little low but not noticeable to the naked eye.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I should have been a little more specific. If you're pressures are already low... and your on the border of the tpms going off... cold weather will compress the air, and it's possible to set it off. Either way... check it your self
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Maybe check the pressure with a couple gauges to be certain. Mine TPMS warning went off once but that was after I got an oil change and the shop dropped the pressure to 32, then the weather quickly turned cold a couple weeks later and the pressure was low enough to create a warning.

Why is the shop touching your tires if you're doing an oil change?
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

Probably covering their ass and setting things to a generally accepted level for most cars. I don't mind nor do I blame them one bit with all the lawyers in my neighborhood.

Thanks for the input guys. I checked pressure yesterday and am at 30psi for each tire... TPMS light is still triggered, I think I'm going to take it in and get checked out since I need to get an oil change anyways.

Edited for clarity
    Last edited by revhq; 02-25-2011 at 07:59 AM.

I think mine were around 28-29 according to my gauge when the light was on. Also, I had to drive the car for a while for the light to turn off. Keep in mind that any tire pressure gauge and TPMS sensor has a margin of error so you could be lower than 30psi.

not that this is related to cold weather at all, i live in san diego, but my TPMS light came on the other day, and i measured the cold pressure in all 4 of my tires, and they were all below 30. i have never let any air out of them or put any air in them. i have a compressor at my house, and filled them to cold 33 for the frnts and cold 32 for the rears according to the sticker on the lock pillar. wierd. why would all 4 of my tires all of a sudden all lose the almost same amount of air?
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbya rx View Post
    not that this is related to cold weather at all, i live in san diego, but my TPMS light came on the other day, and i measured the cold pressure in all 4 of my tires, and they were all below 30. i have never let any air out of them or put any air in them. i have a compressor at my house, and filled them to cold 33 for the frnts and cold 32 for the rears according to the sticker on the lock pillar. wierd. why would all 4 of my tires all of a sudden all lose the almost same amount of air?
    How long have you had your car? When was the last time you checked the pressure?
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    How long have you had your car? When was the last time you checked the pressure?
    bought it at the end of may in 2010. checked the pressure before i took it to a track event in at the beginning of january and the day after taking on the track when it was cold. pressure was right on the money then
    Stink-eye Mob #814004
    2010 WRX Limited Hatch - spt short throw...for now